• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

ECFC not fulfilling a fixture

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Was there a bit of southern bias in those denied re election? Mostly northern sides replaced by teams from the middle or south of the country.

Oldsmobile-88

Was there a bit of southern bias in those denied re election? Mostly northern sides replaced by teams from the middle or south of the country.
Yes,it seemed that way..Newport were dead certs to be replaced at the re election process in 1972,by Hereford,on the back of the great FA Cup run & good crowds in the Southern League,but it was Barrow who were not re elected..Of course not helped by the remoteness in Cumbria(Cumberland in those days) also rumour had it that away directors did not get a very hospitable welcome at Hoker St.

Last edited:

Colesman Ballz

Yes,it seemed that way..Newport were dead certs to be replaced at the re election process in 1972,by Hereford,on the back of the great FA Cup run & good crowds in the Southern League,but it was Barrow who were not re elected..Of course not helped by the remoteness in Cumbria(Cumberland in those days) also rumour had it that away directors did not get a very hospitable welcome at Hoker St.
Did hear that the Devonshire Cream Teas, served up in our Boardroom were very popular, as were the little gifts of a pot of Devonshire Cream to visiting directors. Did this help "save our bacon" when we were up for re-election I wonder ? :)

Oldsmobile-88

Did hear that the Devonshire Cream Teas, served up in our Boardroom were very popular, as were the little gifts of a pot of Devonshire Cream to visiting directors. Did this help "save our bacon" when we were up for re-election I wonder ? :)
Could have...At the Grecians last ever re election in 1986 they gained the maximum vote,more than League founder member Preston NE.

The only time the Grecians sailed close to the wind on re-elections(7) was in the 1920s when a welsh team from the valleys gave them a close run,forgotten who it was now but will check later

Last edited:

Exehausted

Could have...At the Grecians last ever re election in 1986 they gained the maximum vote,more than League founder member Preston NE.

The only time the Grecians sailed close to the wind on re-elections(7) was in the 1920s when a welsh team from the valleys gave them a close run,forgotten who it was now but will check later
Without looking, Aberdare? I'm sure they were a League team at some point in the distant past.

haka

They must have been very special teas. We had some generous re-election results over the years: in 1937 we kept Ipswich out! (they got in the following season).

Oldsmobile-88

Without looking, Aberdare? I'm sure they were a League team at some point in the distant past.
I don’t think it was them,they were in the League until the early 1930s iirc & like Merthyr lost their place during the dire economic conditions in the early 1930s..I have a great book looking at the trials & tribulations of the re election process & will dig it out,some of the teams that applied for election are unbelievable.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don’t think it was them,they were in the League until the early 1930s iirc & like Merthyr lost their place during the dire economic conditions in the early 1930s..I have a great book looking at the trials & tribulations of the re election process & will dig it out,some of the teams that applied for election are unbelievable.
Olds certainly intrigued to know more.

AlanDevlin

IIRC it was the bottom 4 from division 4 ( now League 2 ) and the winners of the old Northern Premier League and the winners of the Southern League who applied for election.

The Northern Premier and Southern leagues came together as a national league around 1980 after they got together and put only one club up for election for the two years before, resulting in Wimbledon and Wigan both being elected.

I think automatic promotion and relegation started as soon as the league became national, but someone will correct me if not.

Oldsmobile-88

IIRC it was the bottom 4 from division 4 ( now League 2 ) and the winners of the old Northern Premier League and the winners of the Southern League who applied for election.

The Northern Premier and Southern leagues came together as a national league around 1980 after they got together and put only one club up for election for the two years before, resulting in Wimbledon and Wigan both being elected.

I think automatic promotion and relegation started as soon as the league became national, but someone will correct me if not.
The winners of the Southern League & NPL were put forward after around 1975 iirc to stop splitting the non league vote with all & sundry applying..The Alliance Premier League(Conference)a amalgamation of Southern & NPL teams started in 1979 with the winners only being put forward for election.
Altrincham narrowly missed out at the first attempt of this method of election(by one vote,Rochdale would have been replaced) Two clubs that promised Altrincham their votes,missed the voting meeting !

Last edited: