• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cricket 2019

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Interesting that the two Hants players not allowed to feature at Lord's both made significant contributions in this match. In his interview, Abbott mentions that "Somerset celebrated against us in the One-Day Final", so there seems to be some lingering resentment. Why we shouldn't enjoy winning, after fourteen barren years, I'm not too sure. Maybe he thinks we ought to have let them win.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Amazing figures from Abbott. We've been outgunned. The forecast for next week isn't great, and it will be very difficult for Somerset to get the big win they need. It would be horrible to see Essex clinch the title on our ground.
No worries Mr Hound. My sauces say the groundsman is assiduously at work preparing a “Sporting” pitch where 4 sessions will be enough to get all four innings completed.😉

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Apologies to all Cidermen for another abject, dare I say, Sorry performance from the reigning Champions. I have loved this summer's cricket, just not from the shambolic team based at the Oval. I hope the weather allows you to stuff Essex next week; Sir Alastair aside - they are a unlikeable bunch.

As for Surrey, hopefully di Venuto will get the chop, Batty and Clarke retire and the batsmen spend the winter learning not to treat every innings like it is a 20/20 match. We play Notts next week - lump on a losing draw.

Alistair20000

Interesting that the two Hants players not allowed to feature at Lord's both made significant contributions in this match. In his interview, Abbott mentions that "Somerset celebrated against us in the One-Day Final", so there seems to be some lingering resentment. Why we shouldn't enjoy winning, after fourteen barren years, I'm not too sure. Maybe he thinks we ought to have let them win.
As a supporter of both Hampshire and Somerset I can fully understand why the Hampshire team (and fans) were seriously pis*ed off by having Vince and Dawson denied the opportunity to play in the 50 over showcase final. Instead they were fannying around in a fairly pointless warm up match for the World Cup. In addition, the overseas player Aiden Markram was dragged out and a replacement denied (Rahane). This meant the team that turned out was very substantially weakened. It demeaned the Competition especially as it was the last Lord’s final. Having watched both teams throughout the Royal London there is no doubt in my mind that Hampshire were the stand out team and deserved to win the Tournament. Whether the missing players would have changed the result is of course speculation. I don’t think anyone was unhappy that Somerset wildly celebrated their win after so many near misses. The annoyance was directed more at the ECB and other Cricket Authorities. I would also mention that Radio Solent commentator Kevan James has been saying all week how much the whole cricket world (outside Essex at least :)) would love Somerset to win the Championship this year.

As regards the Championship specifically, Somerset are on balance a better team than Hampshire and were rather unlucky in this match. They were hit with a triple whammy. Dawson scored his first century in red ball for 3 years and Vince his first this season although to be fair he has not played that many games. I do not need to say anything about Kyle Abbott ‘s quite outstanding bowling and not forgetting his partnership with Vince in the second innings that hurt Somerset really hard after they had fought their way back into the game. In the end that partnership probably made the difference between defeat and victory.

The problem with Somerset this season in the red ball game is the batting. Nobody is averaging as much as 32 and aggregate runs are well below par. James Hildreth is averaging just 22.65. Generally you cannot win a Championship with that sort of weakness in the batting. The bowling averages are quite the opposite of course. In this latest match the pitch was an odd one with wickets falling in clusters for both teams. Although the 280 or so target was tough Vince, Dawson, Barker, Abbott, Gregory, Bess and Van der Merwe showed that if one got in runs could be made. Having got to 86-0 with the new ball seen off it was astounding to see 7 wickets go down for only 14 runs. The partnership of 40 from Gregory and Overton after that showed the task was not impossible.

Still in the Cidermen’s hands of course. Just need to beat Essex next week. (y)(y)

BTW: would you trade off the Royal London title with a win in this match if such were possible? 😉

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I think the pendulum is firmly with Essex - as said above the forecast for next week isn't great, plus Somerset can't really prepare a Bunsen as Essex have the best spinner in the country so it could backfire on them (especially given how fragile their batting has been this season).

Meanwhile our dead rubber match could be set up for an interesting final day - Lancashire 8 down with a lead of just over 200.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
No worries Mr Hound. My sauces say the groundsman is assiduously at work preparing a “Sporting” pitch where 4 sessions will be enough to get all four innings completed.😉
Ah, yes. Nightmare Scenario No. 2. Somerset win, but are docked points over a sub-standard pitch.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
BTW: would you trade off the Royal London title with a win in this match if such were possible? 😉
Yes, of course. I would give a lot to see a County Championship title for Somerset before the time comes for me to join the choir immortal.

Alistair20000

I think the pendulum is firmly with Essex - as said above the forecast for next week isn't great, plus Somerset can't really prepare a Bunsen as Essex have the best spinner in the country so it could backfire on them (especially given how fragile their batting has been this season).

Meanwhile our dead rubber match could be set up for an interesting final day - Lancashire 8 down with a lead of just over 200.
Chance to bust Lanky’s unbeaten record but will be tough.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Chance to bust Lanky’s unbeaten record but will be tough.
Especially given we've already done worse than our batsmen did in the first innings - currently 3/3.

Alistair20000

Especially given we've already done worse than our batsmen did in the first innings - currently 3/3.
Bleddy hell. Bad shots or new ball jagging around ?