• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cricket 2019

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Somerset's Head Groundsman is to defect to Hampshire.
Mason Crane is licking his lips at the prospect I'm sure!

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Indeed and don't forget Liam Dawson. :)

Spinners have not prospered at the Ageas, particularly in the red ball game. They did well on the slow tired pitches that were served up a few years back in the T20 when Hampshire were the dominant in that competition. I remember Rob Key saying that one of the pitches was 28 days old after he had fannied around for ages to score a handful of runs.

A lot of the 4 day games peter out into dull draws. Will be interesting to see if some "sporting" pitches are prepared going forward.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Has an English cricketer ever been less deserving of a test cap ?

Just checked his current first class stats, 82 wickets at over 50 runs apiece, that is fooking dire.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member

Just checked his current first class stats, 82 wickets at over 50 runs apiece, that is fooking dire.
Yeah, it was a head scratcher for me too - apparently he "had something".

I remember when we picked Alex Loudon for a tour because apparently he could bowl a doosra. He couldn't bowl much else, according to his stats.

Alistair20000

Still very young for a leg spinner Chap and very much finding his way in the game. The Ageas pitch is not helpful to the red ball spinner at all. His England selection was indeed utterly ridiculous.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
He has also played Sheffield Shield Cricket in Australia.

Anyway Aggers on TMS just referenced Vintcent van der Bijl. One of several players to have been utterly stuffed up by Apartheid - he finished with a ridiculous FC bowling average of 16.20, and in his one season for Middx he averaged under 15 and was one of Wisden's Five Cricketers of the Year:

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Still very young for a leg spinner Chap and very much finding his way in the game. The Ageas pitch is not helpful to the red ball spinner at all.
If you bowl dog sheet the pitch doesn't matter.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations to Afghanistan on their first Test victory.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Somerset's James Hildreth 35 today. One of the most successful batsmen they've ever had.

Rosencrantz

Somerset's James Hildreth 35 today. One of the most successful batsmen they've ever had.
Probably one of the best modern day batsman not to get an England cap.