• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Coventry City V Exeter City Carabao Cup 1st Round - Matchday Thread

Corey

The Swindon player who was sent off is their only recognised striker - the only other player they have to play up front is a no. 10 type player from what I can gather. But they do have the threat of Keshi Anderson on the wing going forward who is a very good player.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
The player that stood out, for the wrong reasons, was Matt Jay. I always hoped he would turn into a tricky player, good touch, good skill especially after the run he had last season. There were a number of times when he got 1v1 against a full back, and rather than trying to beat the man, he just turned back and played a simple ball, usually then putting the second player in trouble. He continually occupies spaces of the pitch that are already occupied, especially in defensive phases of the game, which leaves us effectively playing with 10 and the game just seemed to bypass him.
I thought exactly the same, it was reminiscent of Tisdale's pattern of play. Go sideways/backwards in preference to going forwards when the better option was to go forwards. The few occasions we did keep keep the ball down and attack, we looked dangerous. Thought Lee Martin was similarly guilty, and given he was one of the senior players last night, poor and caught offside too many times.

Felt sorry for Ben Seymour. Kept having 50 yard passes smacked up to him, when he was 6 inches smaller than their dominant no4. Collins did well.

exeter-loyal

Not sure what people were expecting from Maxted and was totally perplexed by the battering he got from our fans last night - guess that's the curse of being a keeper and 3-0 down on your debut. He possibly could have done better with the third, but showed some good handling (cross in the second half), good decision making (opting to punch away in the first) and his distribution was infinitely better that Ward's. I didn't get to watch the first game of the season, but based on Stevenage and last night, I would be picking Maxted.
I haven't personally seen Maxted play yet but going on Wards last 2 games and pre season I would have him playing all day long. Ward has surprised me with his last couple of performances. Great shot stopper and his kicking is a lot better than previous keepers that we have had here in the past.
I'm happy Ward is our number 1.

Boyo

For me the concern is that the "bench" players didn't seem to perform well enough to demand a place in the 1st team. Maybe someone who attended the match can put me right on that. Did any player shine?
The old saying that 'you're only as good as the players around you' could apply here. Put one of the bench/fringe players into our first XI and there's a greater chance that they'll shine.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
The old saying that 'you're only as good as the players around you' could apply here. Put one of the bench/fringe players into our first XI and there's a greater chance that they'll shine.
That's very true. As I said on an earlier post on this thread the team was thrown together and it is difficult. You're right, if just one newbie perhaps he could do more.

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think that MT will be most concerned that for the second year running he put out a team containing the squad players that he will need to rely on throughout the season and like last year, they didn't have the quality to be competitive. He will argue, rightly, that he needs to test these players, but to get the same answer as last year, will be disappointing,

Ashford Grecian

I haven't personally seen Maxted play yet but going on Wards last 2 games and pre season I would have him playing all day long. Ward has surprised me with his last couple of performances. Great shot stopper and his kicking is a lot better than previous keepers that we have had here in the past.
I'm happy Ward is our number 1.
His kicking is just as bad as his predecessors - take it you weren't at Satanage?

Boyo

I think that MT will be most concerned that for the second year running he put out a team containing the squad players that he will need to rely on throughout the season and like last year, they didn't have the quality to be competitive. He will argue, rightly, that he needs to test these players, but to get the same answer as last year, will be disappointing,
We beat Championship Ipswich in the first round, last year. In round 2 we lost at Fulham.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
His kicking is just as bad as his predecessors - take it you weren't at Satanage?
The wind at Stevenage was blowing all over the place. Affected the kicking of both keepers.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
You Tube "highlights"