• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Club Cricket 2018

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Yet another walloping this weekend - the new league restructure has seen a few clubs end up getting some pasting so far....Sidmouth 2nds smashing a side for 450 this weekend in 45 overs....with 3 lads scoring 100...

We played Heathcoat (Tiverton) they had a lad open the bowling who “has just come back from Uni” and he was slippery and as quick as I’ve faced in a while....following 3 overs of him trying to bounce me out he finally pitched one up and I hit him through the covers for 4....the next 2 overs nothing in my half before I nicked off to the keeper....give the lad some
Due he was gas.....

My 9 overs went for 39 (1 wicket) the most costly I’ve been this season - I’ve played 5 games Bowled 45 overs (9 max per game) and gone for 111 runs taking 6 wickets & bowling 13 maidens going at 2.47 an over

Not too bad

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I was back up in the 3s for our trip to table topping Dorking. Very frustrating, had just hit the bowler back over his head for four when two balls later I tried to smash one through the covers, only to be through the shot too early and chipped it to mid off for 11. Story of our innings, nine of our batsmen hit boundaries yet we were skittled for 117.

We knocked four down early on, bit of a flashpoint as their skipper, who was very "vocal" in the field (if nothing malicious), didn't take kindly to being bowled and booted the stump which went cartwheeling towards me at slip, followed by some choice language to a couple of our players as we questioned his actions. They had two very mediocre batsmen who somehow survived to take them home.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Having not played last week due to my anniversary, no game again for me tomorrow due to the actions of our oppo's skipper (see the "Feckin' Dire" thread on the Social Club). As I've been feeling dog rough all week it's maybe not such a bad thing I'm not playing, but I'm gutted nonetheless.

Instead I'll head to the club tomorrow (with kit on the offchance someone's a no-show in the 3s or, god forbid, the 1s!), I'll probably do a bit of umpiring in the 3s match and watch the England match there. Good club man, etc.

CREDYGRECIAN

I’ve not played for a couple weeks and will be missing tomorrow due to the England game....to be honest I think I’m done the challenge and enjoyment isn’t there anymore & I think my whites may have been put away for the last time

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
91 for Matt Taylor last week, batting at number 3.

CREDYGRECIAN

91 for Matt Taylor last week, batting at number 3.
I’ve played against Matt a couple times , he didn’t get any runs either time , seems a nice bloke

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Taylor was a guest at the Dom Sanders memorial 6-a-side at Bromley Common in 2011 (I couldn't play in the tournament as it clashed with a family do but made it along later).

Anyway, I got a call on Friday evening from our 2s skipper asking if I could play - despite my ongoing illness I agreed, which meant a crack of dawn drive to Dulwich to take on Streatham & Marlborough. Our 2s are a bit of a "club within a club" (hence me being selected instead of the 3s promoting someone) which makes for a bit of an odd atmosphere. Anyway, we batted first and scored 246, my 12 was part of a 50+ partnership with our top scorer before I was given out run out (a clue: I wasn't - but the umpire was useless throughout for both sides). We had them 7 down then their 9 came in and clubbed his first ball over the pavilion as they got home by 2 wickets with an over or two left. I then sat in the changing room and watched the skipper have a blazing row in Punjabi with several team mates. Hmmm.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just checked the local scores for the weekend, and Matt scored 92 v Feniton. He seems to be in pretty good form. Meanwhile, one of the Bess clan had a big hundred for Sidmouth.

CREDYGRECIAN

Just checked the local scores for the weekend, and Matt scored 92 v Feniton. He seems to be in pretty good form. Meanwhile, one of the Bess clan had a big hundred for Sidmouth.
Against the club I play for Greyhound he walloped 142 against our first team

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Being a nice sort who plays where picked (unlike some others, who refuse to play in the 2s re: the "club within a club" bit and end up flitting between the 1s and the 3s or even the 4s), it looks like I'm going to be in slightly over my preferred standard again in the 2s this week. Our venue is even further away than last time, the other side of Croydon and possibly the furthest trip in the league - and this with me having a family do at my sister's in the evening!