• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Citys 'problem' fans at home and away

i8cornwall

That's what it boils down to say 10 out of 400 plus people isnt many lets be honest. I've been to old Trafford where far more then 400 people have been signing far worse!

Racism has no place anywhere quite frankly.

Personally I'm confused as to why people where potentially singing anti IRA songs todayou. Ive got very little time for the subject of the IRA in general but it's just quite frankly odd for a club who has no links to Northern Ireland or Loyalist politics.

Legohead

Banned
I agree with a separate thread to avoid the matchday thread getting sidetracked.

The problem is with a small number of individuals who choose to sing inappropriate songs. Let’s not exaggerate - it isn’t in the same league as the problem they have in Glasgow, but we have a small number of individuals who believe their passion for the club is best demonstrated by singing inappropriate / unfunny / offensive songs (delete as you deem applicable).

It’s not every game - they weren’t sung at Lincoln, Crewe or morecambe for instance - but for the games I’ve been at where such songs were sung, it has spoiled my enjoyment of the game. There seems to be an unhealthy fascination about paedophilia by some (songs at Mansfield, MK, Northampton, Newport) and I think the people singing the songs find it funny, but it isn’t.

Today was the worst of what I’ve heard - how anyone can justify singing anti-IRA songs at a city match is beyond me. The people singing this stuff aren’t just kids though, even though some are. Today there was a mix of songs involving swearing which the singers obviously found funny just because there was swearing in it (“Batman, Batman, you’re a ****”) but also unpleasant stuff about the death of Alan Nicholls and the IRA.
Agree with every word. These fans are just tools. Best to ignore them now or just laugh at them because they are thick as pig****.

Legohead

Banned
OK, I wasn’t one calling for that. All songs come down to one person starting them - the majority of the **** songs sung today were started by one person and only sung by around 10 in total, out of an away following of 412. I just want the one person starting them to not do it.

I’ve called it out before - away at argyle many years ago the bloke next to me started a racist chant. I told him to shut the **** up. He and his big lump of a mate told me if I didn’t like it I should “**** off somewhere else”. I fronted them up and told him and his mate that they should be the ones to **** off somewhere else as no one wanted that **** sung. They backed down, stared at me a lot but, ultimately, didn’t make a sound for the rest of the game. Don’t get me wrong, if they’d got violent I was ready to kick off - the singing made me so angry I was kind of hoping they did - and I’ll call it out again if I’m close to it in the future. Today I was close enough to hear it but nowhere near close enough to know who was saying it, or to say anything myself.
Again Fred. Great post and agree with you 100%. I get angry quickly. It affects my enjoyment of the game too and whilst we are on the subject of ***** fans, if anybody subjects me to a smoke bomb again and causes exacerbation of my symptoms as has happened before. You'll be made accountable.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
That's what it boils down to say 10 out of 400 plus people isnt many lets be honest. I've been to old Trafford where far more then 400 people have been signing far worse!

Racism has no place anywhere quite frankly.

Personally I'm confused as to why people where potentially singing anti IRA songs todayou. Ive got very little time for the subject of the IRA in general but it's just quite frankly odd for a club who has no links to Northern Ireland or Loyalist politics.
Isn't your avatar the Red Hand of Ulster ?

Apologies if I've got that wrong.

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Pay your money take your choice - It will never change regardless if you agree or disagree, it’s life ain’t it.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
The " No surrender to the IRA " song is probably more offensive to ex service personnel who served in NI during the troubles being sung by kids who don't know why they are singing it and weren't even born at that time.

Bit like the 10 German bombers song when England play Germany.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Pay your money take your choice - It will never change regardless if you agree or disagree, it’s life ain’t it.
What a ridiculous view, the songs last week directed at the Tranmere keeper were a disgrace.

It can change however it needs people at the club to stand up against it, anyone singing stuff that is considered to be well below the belt should simply be ejected out of the ground, it won't be easy however we need to try and do something. We need to send out some kind of message.

Anything is better than the "it's a football ground anything goes" mentality that some seem to have.

If anything goes what is the point of the stewards in the Big Bank, are they only there in case people collapse ?

budegrecian

To some extent you are right: it's life that there will be always be a few idiots following whatever club you support. However, I'm with FBH & Lego on this issue, & there have been a few instances in the past at away games when I've felt strongly enough to give someone a fairly strong tap on shoulder & tell them to 'cut it out' when their singing & gestures have been particularly embarrasing.
I remember in the past, when Bradley Wright Phillips was on the receiving end of some particularly offences chants, that Rob Edwards made comment. He didn't go over the top he just said he, personally, didn't like it & suggested that backing the team was far more beneficial to the players than chanting abuse at rival fans & players. Perhaps a similar call now from the management team or senior pro's would help reduce the problem.

i8cornwall

Again Fred. Great post and agree with you 100%. I get angry quickly. It affects my enjoyment of the game too and whilst we are on the subject of ***** fans, if anybody subjects me to a smoke bomb again and causes exacerbation of my symptoms as has happened before. You'll be made accountable.
Actually Legohead you where the one I was referencing about being stupid in the other thread. It seems most things annoy you, have you considered football might not be for you?

As much as I sympathies with your medical issues I'm not sure how you'll hold someone accountable for them.

Legohead

Banned
Stewards are part of the problem. Absolutely useless most of them when in fact they could be part of the solution to the problem that CREDY claims there is no solution to.

For example any obvious obscene chants and disruptive behaviour that is upsetting someone could be reported to stewards and the stewards could go and 'have a word' with the fans responsible and ask them to tone it down a bit. Again, it's a football match and nobody wants to detract from the atmosphere but if someone is persistently chanting abuse and behaving anti socially then there is no room for it inside a football ground and they need to be removed. The stewards can be fair and give them a chance and if they persist they get kicked out.

Hopefully these fans will get kicked out every week because they have no idea of how to behave in a public place and eventually stop coming to games. This is the consequence. OR they could behave and everyone wins. This is the hope.

What makes this more laughable is that we're talking a small minority of fans. We're not talking hundreds and hundreds of Leeds (for example) fans. We're talking a small number of fans that it should be easy to identify and easy to manage. Therefore implementing such a policy would be child's play. The football club needs a strategy to start addressing this problem now and working closely with stewards could be part of it.