• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheltenham Town v Exeter City Official Matchday Thread

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Re: Cheltenham Town v Exeter City Offcial Matchday Thread

Credy, if you genuinely think that is a penalty then you are showing your lack of football knowledge.

Even their GK, their Manager and the Linesman have come out and said it was not a penalty.
Thanks for the advice - my knowledge is absolutely fine.

Opinion based sport and mine is that it was a foul - not in the first instance but the contact that followed

Pobbop

Well at the time I was perplexed as soon as the ref gave a pen as I saw a fair challenge in a 50/50 ball with Pym playing the ball thumping it away. Perhaps there was something else I was thinking to myself after, but having watched it again a zillion times I am even more perplexed. Yellow carded after that incident it was silly of Pym to push the Cheltenham player in the back who was making a pig of himself shielding the ball from Pym retrieving it for a quick goal kick. Hammon in goal away to Macclesfield now, who out of interest will be 2nd keeper that night?
Jack Arthur I guess, I've heard Pate has already had betamax tapes sent to him from the cat and fiddle to run his expert eye over him.

100milesaway

It was a controversial penalty but we had 2 shots on target all game and Cheltenham were all over us in the second half.

Had it been 1-0 and the penalty had been in the 100th min we could argue the ref cost us. But we don’t know how the game would have panned out had it stayed 1-0 and the penalty had not been awarded. Cheltenham would likely have piled forward even more and found a way to score...

A 1-1 there is a good result. They have the best home record in the league this year.

Last edited:

Pobbop

It was a controversial penalty but we had 2 shots on target all game and Cheltenham were all over us in the second half.

Had it been 1-0 and the penalty had been in the 100th min we could argue the ref cost us. But we don’t know how the game would have panned out had it stayed 1-0 and the penalty had not been awarded. Cheltenham would likely have piled forward even more and found a way to score...

A 1-1 there is a good result. They have the best home record in the league this year.
Yeah, in the end, looks like autos are out of the question, just important to pick up any points we can, a win on Tuesday and we could be relatively comfortable, but again I'd take a point.

CREDYGRECIAN

There is nothing in the rules that says playing the ball first means it’s not a foul - if the referee considers the challenge careless , reckless or with excessive force a foul will be given.

On a Sunday morning you get away with that - but in the modern professional game you don’t IMO

Terryhall

Irrelevant if he meant it or not - when an outfield player wins the ball but still makes contact with a player fouls get given - what’s the difference with a keeper? Yes he played the ball first but he still fouled the player and in the modern game “got the ball first” means nothing
When an outfield player clatters into someone else and injures themself in the process, it isn't a foul.

When the player they clattered is the keeper, that is usually a foul by the outfield player.

Stop digging on this one Credy.

CREDYGRECIAN

When an outfield player clatters into someone else and injures themself in the process, it isn't a foul.

When the player they clattered is the keeper, that is usually a foul by the outfield player.

Stop digging on this one Credy.
I’m not digging I’m just giving facts - and also don’t tell me what to do (thanks)

Terryhall

I’m not digging I’m just giving facts - and also don’t tell me what to do (thanks)
Fact is their striker jumped into our keeper not looking at the ball with his back turned.

You are wrong.

Langer

Looking to me a 50/50 coming together the striker went for the ball the goalie did the same accidental clash no foul.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.

Jack Arthur I guess, I've heard Pate has already had betamax tapes sent to him from the cat and fiddle to run his expert eye over him.
Chris weale is registered as a keeper isn't he? Unless he is injured would have thought he might be on the bench.