• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheltenham Town v Exeter City Official Matchday Thread

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Re: Cheltenham Town v Exeter City Offcial Matchday Thread

BBC website suggests Pym had two yellows so he should only miss Macclesfield I think.
That’s what the commentator said on Radio Devon

hardi2b

In my opinion the ref robbed us of the points, however, the predictable frequency that we play the long ball is wasteful and unproductive, there is no assurance we gain possession from this tactic - play mainly though the mid field along the ground and spread the ball wide on their approach to the penalty box - much as we used to in the early part of the season, passing is wayward.
On a more positive vein, thought defense was solid with outstanding performances from Woodman, Brown, Pym. In all we did well considering the Hux****** factor to get away with a draw.

on to Tuesday and an emphatic win!!

Last edited:

100milesaway

Only watched the second half and on the balance of play a draw was a fair result but it was NEVER a penalty. Watching the incident again the commentators called it right; Pym is looking at the ball and has no idea Varney is there. (And to rub salt in the Brett Huxtable-shaped wound, some of us haven't forgotten the blatant penalty he failed to give us against Macclesfield at home). However, Pym raised his hands and pushed the Cheltenham player at the end so even though it was harsh, just like Bowman a few weeks ago, he was silly to give the ref the opportunity to send him off. Didn't see anything in the Hamon incident when he came rushing out of his box.
Most importantly hope Luke Varney is ok.
Nice comment at the end

The Red Legion we’re singing ‘let him die’ Ashe lay on the turf unconscious.

I’ve been a city fan for 40 years but that was a disgrace.

PeteUSA

In my opinion the ref robbed us of the points...
Huxtable is a sluggish as buggery walking around trying to control a game from long range, but I dont see how he cost us any points. Theres no conclusive footage as to what happened with their penalty, and no City fan at the other end could pass judgement. For their player to get pole-axed like that, he must have taken a hefty whack from Pym, who got nothing on the ball! As for his sending off: What can you expect any referee to do when he's see's a player get pushed a** over t*t in the back right in front of him? Pym had an excellent game when he was on, but let himself (and the team) down in the end.

PeteUSA

He came way out of his box to a long ball, slid out to it and looked to have handled miles outside the area. Huxtable bottled it to be fair, should have been a straight red for me.
I didnt see any contact with Hamons hand or arm in that incident; I suspect the referee didnt either.

Grecian Max

Really frustrating that. Cheltenham deserved a draw to be fair to them, we just never got going.

Bowman looks like he'd be a great link up man, problem is we have no other decent strikers - that's the biggest thing to sort pre season as other parts of the squad look decent to me for this level. Delivery from wide positions was ****e all afternoon. Pym getting sent off for what looked liked kicking the ball away was idiotic on a yellow, now we have to play Hamon which is never a good thing (and yes he did make a good block at the end).

Luckily Swindon letting in that late goal has taken the pressure off a tad as they were 2 point behind same games played at that point. I can't see us beating Macclesfield, they're fighting for their lives and we just look blunt in front of goal. Hope I'm wrong but if we do make the play offs I don't fancy us whereas last year you knew we had the Stockley factor.

PeteUSA

Oh great. Huxtable really hates us doesn't he.
That is so stupid. Is there ever going to be a game when the officials aren't the absolute worst? Huxtable looks decidedly unfit with that paunch, and shouldnt be covering our games since he lives in Barnstaple. That said, I didnt see a debatable decision of any significance.

100milesaway

From where I was sitting he pretty much caught the ball

i8cornwall

Nice comment at the end

The Red Legion we’re singing ‘let him die’ Ashe lay on the turf unconscious.

I’ve been a city fan for 40 years but that was a disgrace.
Someone sung somthing at a city game must be the Legion then.....

Back to the football mind. Thought we did ok today, im am becoming increasingly frustrated with how this season is ending after promising so much at the turn of the year. Back 4 and Collins today where solid and thought bowman showed what he is capable of just not sure him and Jay is the right fit, rather see Lee Martin up top again once fit.

hardi2b

" For their player to get pole-axed like that, he must have taken a hefty whack from Pym, who got nothing on the ball! "

Pete, as I watched, and as the commentary team stated, Pym got to the ball first (punched it away ) the contact with the opposition player was " incidental " an undeserved penalty, and the consequent effect on the team as a whole was very noticeable. ergo - cost us 2 points ! Further did I not see in a prior post that even their manager concede that it was not a penalty !