• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Carlisle United v Exeter City Matchday Thread

Matt Russell

His disappearance in Topsham isn't half as interesting as the story surrounding his remarkable swim to Tresco. Unfortunately this is probably not the proper place to share it.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I do not recall the benefit fraud aspect of the story,but do recall the person in question going missing.There was a story in the paper at the time about the disappearance.iirc his wheelchair was found near the Quay at Topsham(Can’t be 100% sure about that,part of the story seems to have gone down in folklore)

As a amusing aside to the story.I saw Jubby pushing the guy in the wheelchair at FGR’s old ground & going through a gate which the wheelchair could not go over due to a large metal lip on the ground.
The chap got out of the wheelchair,walked through,Jubby lifted the wheelchair over & the chap sat back in it :D
It was like a scene from Little Britian :D...Jubby ever the quick one for a one liner said...”Well it is Easter Monday(it was) & miracles do happen on this day”.
Ah, my recollection was that he had left his wheelchair in his flat. However, on reflection I think you may be right – was it, perhaps, that he was captured on CCTV walking with his wheelchair in the direction of the river at Topsham. Certainly, as I recall the suggestion was that he faked his death. However, I have no recollection of him ever being tracked down [or, for that matter, a body washing up].

Have tried Googling but to no avail. I can picture the guy in question – greying hair, bearded, glasses – but can't remember what he was called. Would be fascinated if anyone to hear from anyone who knows any more or maybe remember the guy's name. Incidentally, it wasn't John Bahrij[?] though he also used to attend City games and fits the description.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
His disappearance in Topsham isn't half as interesting as the story surrounding his remarkable swim to Tresco. Unfortunately this is probably not the proper place to share it.
I'm intrigued – please do!

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Have tried Googling but to no avail. I can picture the guy in question – greying hair, bearded, glasses – but can't remember what he was called. Would be fascinated if anyone to hear from anyone who knows any more or maybe remember the guy's name. Incidentally, it wasn't John Bahrij[?] though he also used to attend City games and fits the description.
Can’t recall the mans name(I’m sure someone on here will)..To further deepen the mystery I seem to recall some of his clothes were found near the wheelchair at the Topsham Quay..A bit of a John Stonehouse MP about the goings on.

It would make a great film..Perhaps Tom Cruise could play Jubby !

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Isnt there a brass plate on the top rail 1st set of steps on the BB for Jubby ?

Oldsmobile-88

Isnt there a brass plate on the top rail 1st set of steps on the BB for Jubby ?
I don’t think it’s for him(may be wrong) unless its for services to the supporters club.I know there is one for Pip Hulme & John Bungay near to the steps.

Going back the the chap who disappeared..Martin was his first name iirc,just wracking my brain(& asking others) as to who it was..

Stelios

First game of the season without a booking?

I don't know. Just noticed there were no bookings for us.

Oldsmobile-88

Ah, my recollection was that he had left his wheelchair in his flat. However, on reflection I think you may be right – was it, perhaps, that he was captured on CCTV walking with his wheelchair in the direction of the river at Topsham. Certainly, as I recall the suggestion was that he faked his death. However, I have no recollection of him ever being tracked down [or, for that matter, a body washing up].

Have tried Googling but to no avail. I can picture the guy in question – greying hair, bearded, glasses – but can't remember what he was called. Would be fascinated if anyone to hear from anyone who knows any more or maybe remember the guy's name.
Martin Stanbury.

grecIAN Harris

It was a terrible miss but he had a good game otherwise. Stockley's a better finisher (obviously) but Forte is a much better footballer technically than Stockley, and we're playing to his game, so the manager is getting this one spot on.
Going slightly off at a tangent whilst we're talking about Stockley, has anybody seen Sam Cosgrove who plays up front for Aberdeen? Surely he is Stockley's slightly darker haired brother. And he's banging in the goals just like Stockley as well, 17 for the season iirc.

Exehausted

Going slightly off at a tangent whilst we're talking about Stockley, has anybody seen Sam Cosgrove who plays up front for Aberdeen? Surely he is Stockley's slightly darker haired brother. And he's banging in the goals just like Stockley as well, 17 for the season iirc.
I bet we can't buy him for £100,000!