Carlisle United v Exeter City Matchday Thread

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Leaving A. Martin is a brave decision.Im assuming Sweeney will be at centre back.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sweeney can play in the centre
Could see that with Wilson at right wing half, rather see A Martin there though. No Holmes so a start for Randall Williams, interesting.

Radio Devon haven't mentioned us yet, too concerned with the Pox Lard Derby and wheetabix!

Temporarily Exiled

Looks like Aaron Martin is getting the Jimmy Oates treatment - I can't see that he has any future at the club if we're playing Sweeney at CB and Wilson at RB over him. Wilson's good going forwards but struggles defensively, and Sweeney is makeshift at centre half at best.

Last edited:

The Proper Chap

I feel a bit sorry for Aaron Martin, he generally did well for us, OK he lacks pace however he is a decent centre half, I don't think the spell he had playing with the unreliable Luke Croll did him any good, Croll made our back line look more vulnerable and Martin got chucked in what that situation, if he was playing with O'Shea I think we would look pretty solid.

Martin also brings some presence and height to the team, I think one of our weaknesses is a lack of height and at times we look suspect against balls into our box, last week the goal came from a corner and most of MK Dons chances came from crosses into our box.

My back four today would have been:

Sweeney Martin O'Shea Wilson

Last edited:

Sexton Blake

Looks like Aaron Martin is getting the Jimmy Oates treatment - I can't see that he has any future at the club if we're playing Sweeney at CB and Wilson at RB over him. Wilson's good going forwards but struggles defensively, and Sweeney is makeshift at centre half at best.
He has not featured since the defeat at Bury. He was badly at fault for Bury’s second goal running alongside the eventual scorer without appearing to make any attempt to tackle. MT not just as manager but after playing most of his senior football as a centre back, probably saw this as inexcusable.

However if that has been why Martin has fallen out of favour it would seem to be a very hard price to pay for a player who previously had looked to be a contender for player of the season.

SEA Grecian

It was always unlikely that our thirty-somethings were going to play every minute of every game for the rest of the season so hopefully our youngsters will be able to step up today. Will be happy with a point to set us up nicely for the Bury game next week.

STURTZ

Is Bowman ever going to start a game? Is he not much good or something?
I think Matt Taylor is trying to change to a team which attacks from the half way line rather than a boot up to big bloke up front, apart from anything else Bowman isn't as effective as Stockley was. No doubt he'll be on for Forte second half.

STURTZ

Sounds like we've started like we did against MK Dons, hopefully we can get an early goal.

Sexton Blake

Not sure about this commentary team: Antony Waring and Ian Jubb? They sound a bit rough around the edges. Kirky travelled up, why not him for co-commentator I wonder?

No complaints from me Antony Waring an excellent commentator.