• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Car Trouble

Phil Sayers

Very well known Exeweb poster
There I was driving along today when suddenly the engine changes pitch but I thought 'no matter I'm almost back in Truro so will have a look at it then.' Having had a hole in my exhaust pipe before I wondered if it might be the same again. If only.....:(

A couple of minutes later I was pulled over by an unmarked Police car so I started wondering if they were interested in my speed or had finally managed to pin the bank job on me. Turns out it was neither and the problem was that I had been leaving a trail of sparks down the road. That said I was right that the problem was with the exhaust but wrong about what the problem was.

The part of the exhaust pipe underneath the car itself had snapped at the back end but remained connected at the front so was dangling down on the road. Thankfully Britannia were on the scene pretty quickly to recover the car but does anyone have any idea how much it will cost to replace the entire exhaust pipe or replace the broken part and weld? Is it even worth fixing for an N reg Clio although one in otherwise pretty good shape?

Not a good time for this to happen finances wise but I need a working car. :'(

josh4ecfc64

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wrong forum mate!

Phil Sayers

Just spotted that!

Apologies mods - could you please move?

Last edited:

newburygrecian

Thread moved.

I've got no idea how much it costs, but it's almost certainly less than the value of the car. If you do decide to scrap it, my car's for sale

Phil Sayers

Many thanks.

heathy1

Whats worse? A bloke that drives a Clio or a bloke that doesnt have a very basic understanding of a car and how it works! No wonder so many garages rip people off

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Dont scrap it, i know a company who supplys exhausts cheap if you want the number, its not a big job replacing it either

Tada

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
I would recommend a new exhaust and a gasket, only a 20 min job to be honest

Tada

Grecian_In_Exile

Definition of stupid, knowing the truth, seeing th
Cost all depends where it's purchased from; then you need a nice friendly garage to replace it.

It won't be anywhere near the price we've just been given for our love (motor home) bug. Took it in for a service; having trouble starting and nought to do with the cold weather. Unfortunately it also needed two new tyres; and various other parts for the service too. Just picked it up this evening; instead of the approx £200 we budgeted for; the bill was £545; with still a few parts awaiting delivery; so not included in the invoice; and yes this was a very friendly garage. Thankfully owner has allowed us to pay in 2 installments; still a lot of my salary gone next Friday on pay day though :(

manc grecian

Same happened to our car Leo. Obviously whilst Mrs Manc was driving.

The bloke in the garage welded it back together for 100 notes.