• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cambridge v Us match day thread. FA CUP 1st rd.

Rog H K

Not lost a MDT this season so Yay!

Legohead

Banned
We owe them! Come on the lads. Desperately want to be in the 2nd round.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
30 years ago the FA Cup would cause considerable excitement. Now it's just another competition like any other.
Sad to think all that history has gone to waste.
Congratulations to the FA for holding the semi-finals at Wembley, for spreading out the matchdays, and for bigging up the Premier League so much that the FA Cup is now just an afterthought.

PeteUSA

I take your point Mike, I cant get excited about the FA Cup anymore, I'm not concerned at all that our game has no iFollow coverage. I want us to win, but we've got to get back to league action and dispel the misery and memory of our more recent games. We're in freefall league wise, and already another top five team has two games in hand of us.

IndoMike

I take your point Mike, I cant get excited about the FA Cup anymore, I'm not concerned at all that our game has no iFollow coverage. I want us to win, but we've got to get back to league action and dispel the misery and memory of our more recent games. We're in freefall league wise, and already another top five team has two games in hand of us.
I remember listening to the 3rd Round Cup Draw while playing footie in the playground at Hele's We drew MU at home : that's MU with Charlton, Best, Law, Stiles et al. Farking brilliant for me and me mates Now the miserable sods have changed the time of the draw and many don"t care anyway. Even abroad the final used to be shown everywhere.
Trautman, Mortenson, Matthews et al would be gutted to see what's happened to it.
Anyway. C'mon City. Let's have a Cup run!

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm up for the cup. Revenge today please chaps and 36k in the bank. COYR

IndoMike

I'm up for the cup. Revenge today please chaps and 36k in the bank. COYR
You're right Billy. I forgot about that.
Prize money not to be scoffed at
First Round Proper winners(40)£36,000
Second Round Proper winners(20)£54,000
Third Round Proper winners(32)£135,000

Red Devon

30 years ago the FA Cup would cause considerable excitement. Now it's just another competition like any other.
Sad to think all that history has gone to waste.
Congratulations to the FA for holding the semi-finals at Wembley, for spreading out the matchdays, and for bigging up the Premier League so much that the FA Cup is now just an afterthought.

Very important for the finance...the recent up turn in fortunes for clubs like Lincoln and Newport have come off the back of very lucrative cup runs...expect to see Colchester cement at least a place in the playoffs off the back of their trip to Old Trafford in the League Cup....as for us were seriously lacking a striker who can regularly put the ball in the back of the net a very good cup run could be the answer to this.

IndoMike

Agree with that, although it's not easy to pick up a bona fide goalscorer in January.
Whatever, it's worth making a real effort and I hope Matt thinks the same.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Hope someone has pointed out to Matt that any winnings from the FA Cup fund will go in to his player budget. Need a big change in fortunes from our visist there a few weeks ago, we're a good team struggling to score goals. Get an early one and that could all change. Not there today, but will be keeping an eye on the game via Twitter.

Jason's preview