• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cambridge United v Exeter City Matchday Thread

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
A proper striker buried that chance Martin had without even thinking. If Seymour is in that position, he scored.
Bit premature aren't you.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
I watched most of the first half and all of the second half today on iFollow although wasn't free to write on here until now. Not much to say, and I'm sure most of you have said it already:

firstly, Lee Martin was abysmal in front of goal, two very good chances when the game was still salvageable. His worst game for us.

Some pretty terrible defending left them so much time and space on the goals. Not like us and not sure why it was so bad today.

Maxted had a bit of a shocker although by that time we had already lost the game anyway. Looked like the second goal was less his fault than the commentators made out, there was a deflection I think.

There were a few very well worked moves down the right between Sweeney and Williams, who put some lovely balls across the box which weren't finished off.

First half was a really poor game to watch while the second was good from both sides until we just capitulated.

There are 46 games in a season (unless someone goes bust and don't write off that possibility)

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not sure how you can say Bowman and Lee Martin have no energy, that is one of the worst comments I have seen in these parts.
Agreed. Our pace and energy upfront has been our key weapon this season

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Lee Martrin recently won an award, he was also once seen as a Man Utd prospect so for all the evidence that as a striker he couldn't hit a barn door, he must actually be good.

IndoMike

Disappointing result, to say the least.
A bit of reality kicking you in the arse is not always a bad thing, but if we don't get a result at Scunthorpe it'll start to be a bit worrying.
Are the players and manager thinking ahead too much to the Argyle match and taking their eye of the ball? Just a thought. Even Jake said he would be lying if he said he wasn't thinking about it. For us it is a very big match, and the players will know it.

Stelios

This feels very autumn 2018......... Although during our terrible run last year we didn't actually get thrashed (I think).

I expect Moxey will come back in and maybe even Woodman too? MT said last week it's hard to get Jay into the side because he's got Jake Taylor and Law ahead of him. He didn't mention L Martin so obviously sees his role differently to a lot of us.

Am I going mad or could L Martin not perform the "Atangana/Collins role"? He doesn't like being out wide or upfront. He loves running about and closing people down. And he's good on the ball.

Atangana will take a while to get back to full fitness and think he can do well for us but I'm very much in the 'not expecting miracles' camp.

I don't really see what dropping Bowman would achieve. Fisher is a less mobile version of him. Although it would be interesting to see if any of Williams' "dangerous" crosses could actually find a man if he was in the box waiting. The lack of goals issue is the L Martin-Bowman-Williams trio. Just not working.

Bad mistake from Maxted for the 4th but can't really see what he could have done with the rest.

PeteUSA

Youtube highlights:

Red Devon

Like to think MT will take some responsibility for that yesterday....the Lee Martin chance was the biggest moment in the match and a natural striker would have put that away every day of the week, yes it was an outstanding tackle from the Cambridge player but the ball should have been stuck in the back of the net 2 seconds before he had the chance to make that tackle...Martin just doesn’t have that goal scoring instinct about him.....also I fail to see how on earth Atangana is a better option than Archie Collins at the moment apart from half a dozen sideways/backward passes he offered little credit to MT for yanking him off at the break as Nigel looks quite a bit off the pace....for what it’s worth sat in the away end I actually thought we played a lot better in the second half and probably deserved a couple goals for our effort.

grecIAN Harris

I've just been looking at Tuesday nights fixtures. Six of the top eight are at home, the exceptions being us, obviously, and Village Green Rovers. We can't really afford not to come home without at least a point.

dontpassback

The defending for the 3rd goal was not good,by then I think we had lost shape and matey could have made a brew before crossing the ball.bad day all round but game on tues with a chance to redeem ourselves ,we have had a good start and we are bound to get bad days,let’s just hope the good results outnumber the bad ones UTC!