• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Burnley v Exeter 7/3/87 0-0 draw attendance 1792,

Benguin

Saw this photo on another site, what a different era that was.
Burnley were getting about 2000 a game back then and football everywhere was far from fashionable.

Question, anyone go to this game?

During this period i was regularly at home games and you could certainly practice social distancing!

Burnley exeter.jpg

Tim Long

Burnley were getting about 2000 a game back then and football everywhere was far from fashionable.

During this period i was regularly at home games and you could certainly practice social distancing!

View attachment 1853
Yep. Stayed in a Guest House just down the road from Turf Moor. Watched highlights of the Manchester Derby in a TV room with two blokes. None of us spoke. Richard Shelton and Rich Davey got back on the train that night and then got stranded in Reading and spent the night in the Police Station. I hadn't checked on trains back on Sunday and there weren't any that morning. Got a coach to Manchester which broke down. Took me over twelve hours in total to get home.

Benguin

Yep. Stayed in a Guest House just down the road from Turf Moor. Watched highlights of the Manchester Derby in a TV room with two blokes. None of us spoke. Richard Shelton and Rich Davey got back on the train that night and then got stranded in Reading and spent the night in the Police Station. I hadn't checked on trains back on Sunday and there weren't any that morning. Got a coach to Manchester which broke down. Took me over twelve hours in total to get home.
Is that you on the open terrace? Or were you in one section of the Longside ?

Tim Long

Is that you on the open terrace? Or were you in one section of the Longside ?
We were on the side, in fact that photo might have been taken from the away end. Walking into town in a blizzard was a laugh.

Benguin

We were on the side, in fact that photo might have been taken from the away end. Walking into town in a blizzard was a laugh.
Ah i thought so. That bit of the away end could hold thousands as i remember. Bet it was cold though!

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster

View attachment 1853
That’s my pic I posted it in the memories forum back in January. I drove a car load of us up to that game...Turf Moor was quite an iffy place to go to for away fans back then. Think I managed four trips in total without seeing a City victory.

Last edited:

PeteUSA

What season was this?

Spoonz Red E

What season was this?
86/87 Pete.
It's in the thread title :whistle:

... apologies if I've misread it and the match was in 1792.

PeteUSA

86/87 Pete.
It's in the thread title :whistle:

... apologies if I've misread it and the match was in 1792.

Sorry Mike, I didnt see the date at the top.

Incidently I've been meaning to ask, did you use to support City back in the earlier 70's and go to SJP with one or two mates to every possible match, second team and all, all winds and weather? Wore spectacles?

Spoonz Red E

Sorry Mike, I didnt see the date at the top.

Incidently I've been meaning to ask, did you use to support City back in the earlier 70's and go to SJP with one or two mates to every possible match, second team and all, all winds and weather? Wore spectacles?
Not me Pete.
I used to go on my own when finances allowed (I was pretty borassic back then).
Then mostly away games in the Midlands when I lived in Brum from 1975 and London when I lived there from 1988.
Home visits were timed for home matches during the season.