• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bradford City v Exeter City official matchday thread

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Two games before we face Cheltenham at home. Gives Matt some time to get a formation right without Jake and Parkes. THE EFL Trophy game against West Ham doesn't count, I believe, on missed games through suspension.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
I thought the first 20 we were looking really good. Some great movement, intricate interpassing and dominating the ball but without creating anything or delivering the ball into dangerous areas when we had the chance. Always opting generally to cut the ball back once we had got into a decent crossing position which was frustrating.

We did manage to some crosses in but their defence was quite tall so i'm unsure whether or not this was a deliberate ploy by us to try and work around their defence.

I use the analogy of that scene from Indiana Jones and Raiders of the Lost Ark where that Egyptian baddie in the souk marketplace stands in front of Harrison Ford bamboozling him with those frenetic sword moves. Then Harrison whips out his gun, shoots him dead then gets on with the rest of his business. That's what we were like the first 20. Like the baddie. Like we were toying with Bradford and showing off and they go up the field once they'd decided they'd seen enough and boom. We are a goal down. All that fancy stuff for nowt.

Like i said in my earlier post, we did have some decent possession and half chances for a spell in the second half but by and large we were really poor from an attacking perspective. We pass the ball well and have lots of the ball but don't really do anything with it. A complete contrast to last weekend where we did try and deliver balls into the area and did break at pace and created problems and chances.

Pretty much how the radio boys called it....but no mention of Nicky Law missing a match changing sitter at 0:0?

Oldsmobile-88

They did indeed. 10p a go. :D

They also had Galaxian, Pac Man, Frogger, Street Fighter and i also saw a Commodore VIC20 which i haven't seen since i was a kid in the late 80's.
Excellent...I was in San Francisco last year & there was a retro amusement arcade on Fishermans Wharf with those late 1970s early 80s games.
I was like a kid in a sweet shop.

I suppose Jake Taylor & Tom Parkes getting sent off saves them the long drag to Cambridge again ! Every cloud & all that for them !

Legohead

Banned
Yes i recall that Law had a chance in the box but i didn't necessarily think it was a sitter. Be interesting to see that one back on the highlights RD.

PeteUSA

Nobodys mentioned Maxted yet? What sort of game did he have?

Dannyred

Very disappointing, Bowman needs to be dropped for starters, waste of a place today, MJ would of put in a better shift and caused more problems .

I would of had deano instead of a.martin.

Thought jakes sending off was a yellow, ref was poor.

We are too inconsistent to get in the automatics but we have the quality to be in them.

Lewis ward is a big miss.

We need a good FA cup run so I hope MT puts a strong team out minus bowman.

UTC

Red Devon

Nobodys mentioned Maxted yet? What sort of game did he have?

Was pretty decent going by the commentary....two or three good saves, dived at the feet of a bantams player who was in on goal..just one punch that sort of went backwards according to them.

Red Devon

Just seen the highlight....Sweeney went to sleep for the first....can’t see what on earth Parkes was supposed to have done for his red.

Legohead

Banned
Fair play to the Bantams fans. A few excerpts from one of their forums this evening:

'And a good word for Exeter. Came to play a game of football and for much of the game played very well and in a good spirit. No gamesmanship, time wasting, niggly fouls, diving etc. Tried to go forward from the off, none of the ten men behind the ball and we'll see what we can knick nonsense. Good on 'em.'

Also a few posts that kind of sums up our performance:

'They tried to play, had us under pressure at times and looked a decent side in many ways. Agree there. But cutting us open for fun? Not for me. I only remember ROD (Richard O'Donnell) having to make one big save.

'Someone behind me said that Exeter reminded him of us under McCall, lovely looking football but no finish.

'First 20 minutes we were dire and i thought their attacking play was better than any team i've seen this season.'

Also some praise for our fans:

'Thought their following was class. Can't remember the last time i heard an away following of that size (still impressive considering the distance) make so much noise.'

Stelios

Just seen the highlight....Sweeney went to sleep for the first....can’t see what on earth Parkes was supposed to have done for his red.
Never a red for Parkes. He was 'last man' but I thought that rule/law was no longer applied? Still miles from goal too.

The Jake Taylor tackle looked awful. Just flew in and no where near the ball. No complaints.

Bradford player climbing all over Sweeney for the first goal?

A Martin and Parkes doing a Keystone Cops impression for the 2nd