• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Boateng signs for MK Dons

Stelios

I have never seen such disgusting comments about a player signing for another team, Ok it's MK but no way these animals should be near a lap top or smartphone, I don't have Twitter but a friend screenshot a page with some nasty comments, In fact more than nasty just plain evil, Big tough guys behind a keyboard. At least on here people are more constructive in their comments and don't reduce things to gutter level
Agreed. Truly vile stuff. Fed up with jumped up no marks on Twitter posting all sorts of vile things. But according to them and others it is Exeweb that has/had a problem. They drag ECFC's name through the mud but lets be honest it's a society/internet thing. Every club has them.

dontpassback

I don’t condone anything that these idiots have posted and they will get what they deserve,but the problem is,as soon as someone says social media,you can bet your life certain people will automatically think ah exeweb again !

Leads

I'm truly shocked that an Exeter fan on Twitter in reply to a Hiram tweet, said "F*** off and eat bananas".
Unfortunately I’m very much not. I remember someone commenting about racist shouting/chanting at Luton and no one condemned it or even commented. I’m fairly sure the only response was someone saying “racism can work both ways”. Devon is a lovely place but there a lot of backward people living there.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Some players are there to work and others to provide that something extra and for those you give a little licence to. Hiram started last season well for us. His hip injury curtailed that form. Would it continue through the rest of the season had he not been injured?We'll never know. As I said earlier, some players will shine better at a higher level because they don't have to deal with the hustle and bustle of League 2 football. I think Hiram is one of those. There have been players who have come down and you think to yourself, 'great signing' but they can't deal with being shut down and kicked up in the air at almost every turn. Fortunately for us, we have players like Law and Martin who can do both.
The view that you get more time the higher you go is a myth, look at the two best teams in England, both Man City and Liverpool press the life out of opposing teams, they are probably the fittest sides in the country and close opponents down left, right and centre.

Your comments are lazy.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
The view that you get more time the higher you go is a myth, look at the two best teams in England, both Man City and Liverpool press the life out of opposing teams, they are probably the fittest sides in the country and close opponents down left, right and centre.

Your comments are lazy.
Partially agree, though I'd say you sometimes get more space, not from teams closing down less, but from playing with better players. You don't get time on the ball playing against City, but you sure do playing FOR them. League 2 can be trench warfare... But not because teams compete more. You do get players that shine more higher up, but can't show it when it's all kick and rush... Not sure boateng will be one of them though.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster

Your comments are lazy.
Agreed. It also annoys me when people say Matt Jay would be a better player in a higher division because he's technically gifted. It's utter bullocks, if a player is good they will shine even more at a lower level as those around them are not so and therefore they stand out more.

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
There's two elements to consider 'though.

What the player does in possession (composure, ball retention skills) and what the player creates around him (decoy, distribution).
The second element can be more fruitful in a better team.

Mostly I agree that skills will thrive at all levels and those players further down the leagues are there for a reason.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
There have been players who have come down and you think to yourself, 'great signing' but they can't deal with being shut down and kicked up in the air at almost every turn. .
Name them and don't give me players who were simply way beyond their best.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just seen Boateng’s first interview at MK and he said he’d been waiting “a few weeks” to get the move sorted. Sounds like he’d already made up his mind he was going to MK as soon as our season ended.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Name them and don't give me players who were simply way beyond their best.
How do you tell the difference? When they drop down, its because they're past their best. Seriously, how do you tell the difference between whether they're just on a steeper than anticipated decline or their skills don't translate to a lower level of football? Think its more useful to think of players moving in the other direciton... players that were brilliant in League 2 and then didn't really make it a league up... vs players that were decent in league 2 but then stepped up easily. Even so... there's no example where the reasons can't be debated. I'll give you Jamie Coppinger though. Was one of the better players in the conference... then one of the better players in League 1. Contrast with Tim Sills... one of the better players in the conf.... could make no impact at league 2.