• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Best win, worst defeat, most important win... 2023/24 season

roger wellman

For me the best win was the 2-1 against Peterborough. So good to do them again and quite similar to the 3-2 the previous season. Nice to score direct from a free kick (more or less) as well. Only time this season?
Worst defeat IMO wasn't the 7-0 at Bolton (a defeat was on the cards if not the scoreline) but the 1-0 home defeat by Port Vale who were themselves on a poor run at the time and we really did look like nailed on relegation candidates.
Most important win in my view was the 1-0 against Wycombe which ended the 13 game winless sequence. Gradually the ship was turned around from it's relegation course to calmer waters from that game.
Reflection time...

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
For me the best win was the 2-1 against Peterborough. So good to do them again and quite similar to the 3-2 the previous season. Nice to score direct from a free kick (more or less) as well. Only time this season?
Worst defeat IMO wasn't the 7-0 at Bolton (a defeat was on the cards if not the scoreline) but the 1-0 home defeat by Port Vale who were themselves on a poor run at the time and we really did look like nailed on relegation candidates.
Most important win in my view was the 1-0 against Wycombe which ended the 13 game winless sequence. Gradually the ship was turned around from it's relegation course to calmer waters from that game.
Reflection time...
3 threads in one? Do you mean all time or just this season.
All time most important....winning at Wembley.
Best...beating Newcastle in 1981.
Worst...too many to mention.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
3 threads in one? Do you mean all time or just this season.
All time most important....winning at Wembley.
Best...beating Newcastle in 1981.
Worst...too many to mention.
I'm assuming it's just this season.

Best win was against Luton. Beating Premier league opposition should not be underestimated.

Most important win. The 1 nil win away to Rovers. We really showed some grit that night in terrible conditions.

Worst defeat was the 3 nil away to Fleetwood. We were awful against a really poor side and for the first time I thought relegation was likely.

Billtong

Going mental at wembley row 131 between seats 234-
Most important win- I agree with Bristol Rovers away win, it was a real switch in attitute that hadn't been seen for a large part of the season against a Rovers side that were doing pretty well, if I remember correctly, but all teams were in comparison to us! There was a real fight to the side in attack and defence in possibly the worst conditions of the season too, the team and fans took great confidence after that match to show we can mix it with teams when we really try, It brought the fans and players together after the match in celebration which after difficult times the club as a whole needed.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Best win Oxford away on that Friday night 90 minutes + ET + Penalties

Important Still has to be Wembley

Worst 6-1 Chesterfield at SJP still gives me nightmares

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I thoroughly enjoyed Burton Albion away, where a win put us top of the league. Great times!

Thankfully I decided against Bolton away and our worse defeat for a very long time.

Probably beating Wycombe at home on Boxing Day was the important one, as it represented a change to our fortunes. Though I wasn't in attendance.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd go with the Wycombe win and Vil's penalty save on Boxing day as the most important one as it bought that terrible run to an end.

Worst defeat surely has to be losing to Fleetwood which under any other club would have cost Caldwell his job, but thankfully it didn't.

Best win has to be under the lights against Luton, there is always something extra about a cup tie at night

denzel

Best Win? Peterborough at home, one of the few wins against a top 6 club, and a great comeback

Worst Defeat? Bolton.

Most Important result? Maybe Barnsley away, after then it looked like we had the tools to get out of the relegation zone.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Best win - 1-0 vs Luton Town in the league cup. A win against a Premier league side for the first time since i Have been watching City in 30 or years. It has to be the win of the season.

Worst Defeat - it has to be between Fleetwood and Bolton away matches back to back as joint worse defeats. I haven't felt lower as a City fan in the trust era following both of these defeats

Most important win - Wycombe on Boxing day. That Match probably saved GC's job.

Not a win, but as a result, the comeback draw against Bolton at SJP was also a huge moment in our season for me. Without that I think we wouldn't have had the end of season we had.

Rosencrantz

Best win was Luton in the EFL Cup. Giant killings at the Park under lights do not happen very often.

Worst defeat Bolton for obvious reasons.

Most important win, lots of votes obviously for the Wycombe game so I will cheat a bit 🙂. Our second half "win" at Stevenage. Coming soon after the bad Fleetwood and Bolton defeats, Stevenage were up there in the table at that point, a goal and a man down right on half time. The second half comeback with 10 men to get the draw showed one really important thing. Despite the bad run and the aforementioned defeats leading up to this tough game, GC had not lost the dressing room. It showed a bit of light that was to come subsequently on Boxing Day and into the new year.