• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Best and worst - shady pasts and great celebrations

exeter-loyal

Danny Coles had a shady past before he arrived and hardly covered himself in glory while he was with us.

One celebration that sticks in my memory is Arron Davies after scoring a late winner at Dagenham right in front of a packed away end. Think it was a Friday night game.
Remember that, think we started the season off badly and were 1-0 down with about 10 minutes to go ended up winning 2-1. 4 wins in a row that was then we had Hartlepool at home next game who were bottom and we lost 1-0. Tisdale pulled Grimes and Pym off England duties while they were on tour.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
For player celebrations, just about any following an Eamo goal was memorable.

STURTZ

Loved John Delve's celebration after scoring against Argyle at SJP, double handed flying V signs at the away support, priceless.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bad past for me is the memory of Billy Bingham, the b*stard!

I'm sure many remember our 1959 FA Cup game v then (Old) First Division Luton Town at St James, with 20,000 crammed in! We had gone 1-0 up with a Nelson Stiffle shot deflected OG past England keeper Ron Baynham. Then from nowhere, Bingham took out our star left winger and general threat, Gordon Dale, with an ex-rated two footed tackle that left Dale a limping passenger on the wing. We ultimately lost 1-2 but things might have been very different had Bingham been sent off as he surely would have these days.
The clearest case of GBH I have ever seen on a football field. It happened right in front of where I was sitting in the OG.

Although my memory was that the assault (you couldn’t call it a tackle) took place almost straight from the kick off. The Luton management having made the cynical decision to nullify the obvious threat he presented to them as soon as possible and from the onset.

Colesman Ballz

As awful as that was, surely this thread is about CITY players who had a chequered past before arriving at SJP ?

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
CB agreed I was just responding to Pete. As for bad boys off the top of my head I cannot think of any. There have been a few over the years who reportedly liked a drink but that would be about it.

Colesman Ballz

CB agreed I was just responding to Pete. As for bad boys off the top of my head I cannot think of any. There have been a few over the years who reportedly liked a drink but that would be about it.
As I alluded to earlier, in 1982 Steve Moran (whilst with Southampton) was arrested in Sweden along with Mark Wright, and charged with rape. I don't believe he was convicted though.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ronnie Robinson...

andrew p long

Ronnie Robinson...
Daylight robbery...

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ronnie Robinson...
In those pre-internet days the details were always a bit murky but I seem to remember the incident occurred while he was a City player and not before he signed. Also not sure if he was ever found guilty. It didn't help that at one point while playing for us he grew a very dodgy looking beard.