• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ben Chrisene

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I know which course of action makes us the most money g-n-h. We’ll be waiting a long time for another Ampadu instalment , but what we will probably get

from Ollie’s next move will make everyones’ mouths water.I tend now to follow Ollie’s thread with renewed interest as I hear a ching ching for City with each goal he scores , Ethan’s I’ve lost all interest in.
Yes, it's beginning to look like Ampadu may fade from the radar. Hasn't made it onto the pitch for RB Leipzig, subbed for Wales. A great pity ...

And Sean Goss is languishing mid-table in L1 with Shrewsbury. Could well end up playing for them at SJP next season.
As i said it is a difficult decision for a young man and his advisors, it shouldn't be all about the money at sixteen but where will the individual develop best. As Banksy says obviously it's better for the club if they stay and develop particularly at Exeter where they have an established track record which is getting more and more national recognition (recent sky report), but once you sign for a premiershite club then if you haven't established yourself (and the majority don't) then the only way is down possibly setting back your development a couple of years.

I wonder how many ex premiership players there are in the EFL who have never played premiership football

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Personally I don't think we'll earn another cent from the Ethan Ampadu deal.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
I still believe that there is a big pay day coming. However it may take 6 or 7 years. Here's hoping!

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm hoping too. However I wouldn't be factoring in any windfall in future budgeting calculations if it were down to me.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
You can but hope but like Banksy I believe we'll make more money from Ollie as long as he continues his current form and I am disappointed how Chelsea have (or literally not) played Ethan

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Let's remember that Ethan is still only 18, about to turn 19. He is younger than Mason Mount and Tammy Abraham. His peers are Callum Hudson-Adoi and Phil Foden. I don't think they are being written off yet. There are very few teenagers holding down starting 11 places in the Premier League, especially the top 6, and he is trying to get into the starting line up of the league leaders in Germany.

Last edited:

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Let's remember that Ethan is still only 18, about to turn 19. He is younger than Mason Mount and Tammy Abraham. His peers are Callum Hudson-Adoi and Phil Foden. I don't think they are being written off yet. There are very few teenagers holding down starting 11 places in the Premier League, especially the top 6, and he is trying to get into the starting line up of the league leaders in Germany.
Can't believe there are people writing off Ampadu already. Ryan Giggs certainly seems to think he has a bright future.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
On the other hand if you are prepared to bide your time, then the rewards could be more fulfilling. If like some you stick with the club that nurtured you from a young age, coached and encouraged you, had a successful structure in place to get the best out of their academy scholars for both club and individuals, give first team experience when the individual is ready and prepared to move up the pyramid club at a time then the final rewards could be greater than the initial pot of gold offered by the big clubs. Looking at George Friend who came through the same era as Mark Ellis he has established himself as a quality Full back with premiership experience on a good championship wage and then there is Matt Grimes who was the same era as Sean Goss now playing regularly for Swansea, their captain and hopefully on the verge of the premiership through the Swans getting promoted. Or there is Ollie Watkins again established in the Championship with Brentford and being followed by several premiership scouts pending a multi million pound move of which his signing on fee will be huge as will his weekly wage (if we are to believe all the stories on premiership wages). Even in the current squad we can look at the likes of Archie Collins and Jack Sparkes who are regular first teamers getting rave reviews having spent their time doing the loan circuit, in a couple of years they should have advanced further up the pyramid.
Yes, the players who have stayed at Exeter have done well but before we praise them too much for making the right decision how many of them were actually on the radar of bigger clubs at 16 or even 18 - Sparkes definitely and maybe Grimes and Pym. However, Watkins was a late developer, Jay an even later developer, Storey wasn't even attached to a league club when he was 16 and, well as Collins as done since breaking into the first-team, I don't remember a huge buzz about him when he was younger. As for Friend he was still deciding between football and rugby at 16 and only fully committed to Exeter at 18 when he finished his A-levels.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Unless the EFL has the ballz to protect its members against the piranhas from the Premier League then we will always be feeding off crumbs. Unfortunately some lower league clubs who do not have successful academies facilitated this by agreeing to receive a peanut bribe/fee to go along with it.
In my opinion the EFL has shown again and again that it will not make a proactive effort to defend league clubs. Kowtowing to the Premier League is the thing.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, the players who have stayed at Exeter have done well but before we praise them too much for making the right decision how many of them were actually on the radar of bigger clubs at 16 or even 18 - Sparkes definitely and maybe Grimes and Pym. However, Watkins was a late developer, Jay an even later developer, Storey wasn't even attached to a league club when he was 16 and, well as Collins as done since breaking into the first-team, I don't remember a huge buzz about him when he was younger. As for Friend he was still deciding between football and rugby at 16 and only fully committed to Exeter at 18 when he finished his A-levels.
There is no right or wrong decision for a sixteen year old, they make the decision that is best for them and their advisors at the time.

It's right what you say about the various youth players and we can name several hundred more that haven't made it through the system over the years, and we are only one club. The higher up the pyramid the greater the competition and the greater the 'wastage'. My whole point was that just because the big clubs come calling doesn't mean that you have made it at 16 and that there are other alternatives which ultimately could prove more lucrative