• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Below the National League

Red Monster

All Football results below the National League for the current season have been
Expunged.

Could be ominous for the Football League.

Legohead

Banned
Expunged. Wow. What a word.

Max Payne 2

The silver lining is at Least Argyle won't be able to nip in and consign us to the inevitable playoffs defeat

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
The silver lining is at Least Argyle won't be able to nip in and consign us to the inevitable playoffs defeat
We’ll never know now. Sacrilege to say it I know , but on the face of it they seemed to be getting more consistent in grinding out the results while we were getting shakier at the back and with a doubtful attack. Reckon there was a good chance of it ending in tears. Now I don’t reckon this season will be finished in any shape or form whatever the powers that be would like to think. This country will have more important things to think about over the next six months.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Plenty of comments clubs saying that this decisions reward the poor teams, and punishes the good ones.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
We’ll never know now. Sacrilege to say it I know , but on the face of it they seemed to be getting more consistent in grinding out the results while we were getting shakier at the back and with a doubtful attack. Reckon there was a good chance of it ending in tears. Now I don’t reckon this season will be finished in any shape or form whatever the powers that be would like to think. This country will have more important things to think about over the next six months.
Nobody knows what the outcome would have been...but it was becoming more and more obvious that our inability to strengthen the squad (financially) in January with some extra firepower like most of our rivals did was beginning to hurt us...hopefully the season will resume at some stage and we can come back fully charged to claim a top three spot.

eurogrecian

Could be ominous for the Football League.
Looks a likely outcome.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Plenty of comments clubs saying that this decisions reward the poor teams, and punishes the good ones.
That's a fact of life. To quote just one hard case, If Liverpool were awarded the PL and Bournemouth relegated with pretty near identical records and one worse goal difference than Watford their fans would be rightly incensed.

If the full season cannot be played it has to be abandoned, IMO. When to make that decision, and whether to try to get round it by shortening next season, is the hard one.

Matt Russell

The decision is to expunge results, not close the season in the positions teams are now.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
The decision is to expunge results, not close the season in the positions teams are now.
I know that, of course. The discussion is surely now whether the same will or should happen to the higher tiers of the pyramid.

I'm merely saying that all the options being discussed are going to disappoint and in some cases be seen as "unfair" to someone. Liverpool will be hacked off if the PL and EFL are wiped off. Bournemouth ditto (in spades) if it is terminated but the results are as now. Leeds and WBA will be incensed that their expected £100M plus promotion to the PL will not happen. Our fans will be hacked off if our 4-0 win against Argyle never happened. Some may be relieved (as in the exchange between Red Devon and Banksy) as they feared we would fall back based on our form before the shut down . And so it goes on...