• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Band Identity

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Precious ? It was only a lazy Sunday musing ! The No 9 shirt was retired out of respect, and so should the Quo !!
To be fair to Quo, Rossi was always the lead singer. However I also think Rossi should retire gracefully.

Tim Long

But seriously, yes they should have called it a day post-Parfitt.
A Day Post-Parfitt is a bloody strange name for a band. Francis Rossi's Status Quo would be better.

Spoonz Red E

A Day Post-Parfitt is a bloody strange name for a band. Francis Rossi's Status Quo would be better.
Or the name change could have been from Status Quo to State-Me Quo.

Steve H

Goth bands are notorious... Mission, Sisters, Nephilim have all toured with just the singer in place... Watching Spear of Destiny next week with only Kirk Brandon from the original band

It's always harder to replace the singer but Prog seems best at coping with this (Marillion, Genesis, Yes, Floyd)

Legohead

Banned
IMO the singer is the key to this argument. If a band loses it's singer then i feel they should disband. One of my favourite bands are Alice In Chains and they have replaced their singer Layne Staley who died many years ago now. They have released about 4 albums with a new vocalist and whilst they aren't bad, it's not the same and never can be. A drummer or another musician can be replaced in a band but the sound of the original singer cannot be replicated.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
IMO the singer is the key to this argument. If a band loses it's singer then i feel they should disband. One of my favourite bands are Alice In Chains and they have replaced their singer Layne Staley who died many years ago now. They have released about 4 albums with a new vocalist and whilst they aren't bad, it's not the same and never can be. A drummer or another musician can be replaced in a band but the sound of the original singer cannot be replicated.
I think it applies, as I implied before, where the singer is a real figurehead "frontman" - which is why I was uneasy with Queen carrying on after Freddie Mercury snuffed it - even after a long intervening period. It can still work if the band is more of an ensemble - although Bon Scott was a superb frontman considered hard to replace, AC/DC were always about others like the Young brothers which is perhaps why they were able to carry on - and thrive - after Scott's untimely departure.

STURTZ

The Who have carried on for ages post Moon and then Entwistle, but haven't produced anything new of note. Doubt they would have carried on without Daltrey and definately.not Townshend. They've lost a lot of energy and creativity since the deaths but still enjoy seeing them belting out their classics now and again. Enjoy what we've still got it wont last forever.

Spoonz Red E

The Who have carried on for ages post Moon and then Entwistle, but haven't produced anything new of note. Doubt they would have carried on without Daltrey and definately.not Townshend. They've lost a lot of energy and creativity since the deaths but still enjoy seeing them belting out their classics now and again. Enjoy what we've still got it wont last forever.
They could have had Ringo & Macca.

Rosencrantz

They could have had Ringo & Macca.
Would need to change their name to the Whotles.

STURTZ

Last time I saw them Zak Starkey was on drums.