• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Attendances and January Window

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
How much are we expecting for Boeteng? Surely its not going to be more than 200k?
Haw, haw, haw

Rosencrantz

What I would like to see happening is a scouring of the non leagues, premiershite, and championship offloads/fringe players and signing some of these potential players, like we have done with Luke Smerdon and to some extent Randell Williams and Lewis Ward bring them in alongside our academy players so that they can help keep the gravy train moving, but faster, similar in a fashion to what Brentford have done but without ditching the academy. It sounds like we are getting the resources available to monitor the talent that is out there we just need to bring it in and on for the benefit of ECFC
So what you are suggesting is to keep doing as we are doing then. As you have said, we already are signing those players to go alongside our own academy products and as we have the budget, the more experienced, proven players such as Law, Martin and good L2 level players such as Bowman, Fisher, Atangana.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
So what you are suggesting is to keep doing as we are doing then. As you have said, we already are signing those players to go alongside our own academy products and as we have the budget, the more experienced, proven players such as Law, Martin and good L2 level players such as Bowman, Fisher, Atangana.
Along those lines but being more noticeably active in the signing and development market so that players who have been previously identified with potential and suffer the setback of being released, or are slightly late developers can see us as a way to progress their careers and be part of this great club.

We are well known as an academy club let's just grow that base for the benefit of players and ECFC as well. Other clubs are quite happy for us to develop their players with little financial benefit to us. Admittedly signing players will cost salaries but presumably we are paying loanees to play for us and these costs could ultimately be recouped when the players move on

As you say the transfer fees of the younger players can help sign the more experienced players who in turn can help with the development of the youth

Last edited:

GrecianExile

Who or what position(s) do you think the club will be looking to sign or move on in January?

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Who or what position(s) do you think the club will be looking to sign or move on in January?
I expect two players to leave in January and maybe one coming in. Our business will be dependent on departures I think.

GrecianExile

I expect two players to leave in January and maybe one coming in. Our business will be dependent on departures I think.
Which two are you thinking?

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tillson for one. K think the second will be a surprise!

GrecianExile

Tillson for one. K think the second will be a surprise!
I guess you would look at the ones that don’t play many minutes but then having said that, they would still have to find a club

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
200k?????
20k more like it.
Not much point then is there

andrew p long

What Martin has highlighted is that for us to compete unfortunately we are still a trading club, we develop young talent put them in the shop window sell them and move on to the next talent for the next deal. The increase in attendances is good and probably means we are currently about 100k to the good for this season but what would that get us one player maybe two, or extend our time before we run a deficit budget. If attendances slump the finances move the other way and our budget deficit comes to roost sooner.

If some of the windfalls come in then that could help in the short term, extend the budget deficit time scale, sign some normally unaffordable player/s for a season or two to help generate greater income through the gates and get some success, but at the end of the day we are not going to get away from the fact that our income will need to be bolstered by player sales.

What I would like to see happening is a scouring of the non leagues, premiershite, and championship offloads/fringe players and signing some of these potential players, like we have done with Luke Smerdon and to some extent Randell Williams and Lewis Ward bring them in alongside our academy players so that they can help keep the gravy train moving, but faster, similar in a fashion to what Brentford have done but without ditching the academy. It sounds like we are getting the resources available to monitor the talent that is out there we just need to bring it in and on for the benefit of ECFC
I think what you are suggesting is that we should sign players like David Wheeler (from non league) and Jayden Stockley ( from higher up the pyramid). They are then developed to go on to score 20 goals in a season and move on for a profit exceeding half a million pounds each.

I don’t think anyone disagrees with that strategy. The key though is signing and developing the right players