• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Amazon local and football tickets

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't know if people are aware, but on Amazon there is now a local function where you can find deals close to you.
On my local site Northampton Town regularly advertise deals on tickets for their matches.
http://local.amazon.co.uk/Milton-Keynes/B00I99YD5M

Does anyone know if this has been tried or considered at City (I'd imagine not)?
Even if it only dragged a few casual supporters in it could surely be a good thing for the club to look into in these bleak times for minimal outlay.

ETA, just realised there isn't an Amazon local site for Exeter or the SW, but there is a national deals one which could still be worth a look.

Last edited:

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't know if people are aware, but on Amazon there is now a local function where you can find deals close to you.
On my local site Northampton Town regularly advertise deals on tickets for their matches.
http://local.amazon.co.uk/Milton-Keynes/B00I99YD5M

Does anyone know if this has been tried or considered at City (I'd imagine not)?
Even if it only dragged a few casual supporters in it could surely be a good thing for the club to look into in these bleak times for minimal outlay.

ETA, just realised there isn't an Amazon local site for Exeter or the SW, but there is a national deals one which could still be worth a look.
St Helens had tickets on Groupon for the games where the oppo don't being any fans, so that might be worth a shot with Exeter.

Rog H K

I may get my Brazil tickets from the Amazon people, may be cheaper?(smoke)

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster
I suggested Groupon a year or so ago but apparently the club didn't see it as viable due to the commision that would be due to Groupon? Don't know how properly it was looked into but surprised that would be their complaint as surely commision would only be due on sales which would bring in revenue anyway?

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
I suggested Groupon a year or so ago but apparently the club didn't see it as viable due to the commision that would be due to Groupon? Don't know how properly it was looked into but surprised that would be their complaint as surely commision would only be due on sales which would bring in revenue anyway?
St Helens wouldn't do it if they lost too much money. On one of the games against London, I think they sold about 800 tickets this way and the attendance figures were up on what they had estimated. Seeing as London only bought 6 fans, it's not something to be sniffed at.

LOG

That's some hefty discounts they're offering!

paperclip

I think Groupon take up to 40% of total sales as their commission. Presumably there would be nothing to stop fans who would be going anyway to get their tickets that way, which would impact on revenue, rather than pay on the gate?

Boyo

I think Groupon take up to 40% of total sales as their commission. Presumably there would be nothing to stop fans who would be going anyway to get their tickets that way, which would impact on revenue, rather than pay on the gate?
Indeed. The reality with schemes like this, is that people who were going anyway end up paying less, and it only attracts a handful of additional punters. Income normally decreases.

AlanDevlin

IMHO the loss of revenue from regulars purchasing through Groupon instead of on the gate would be larger than income from 'new' spectators visiting SJP for the first time.

Might work to offer local Groupons in away club areas to get more visitors to our wonderful away end though.... Sell a few more pies and Bovril...

Grecian_Jay

Indeed. The reality with schemes like this, is that people who were going anyway end up paying less, and it only attracts a handful of additional punters. Income normally decreases.
Countering that, if the people who usually come have to pay less then they might make that money up in food, drinks etc. I know I did similar when attending 'cheaply'.