• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Academy youngsters and match day.

Dannyred

Academy players have free entrance (as do the women's team).
Do the academy players pay subs to play out of interest?

The deluder

Only the women players.

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't know the answer to that I'm afraid.

I do know that one of the factors that enabled us to keep running the academy when other clubs would have closed it was the financial assistance provided by player's parents and sponsors. That was needed at the time because the matched funding we had from the league disappeared when we got relegated out of it.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I thought one third of incoming transfer monies spread over 3 years was dedicated to the academy? I keep hearing "oh some of that money will go to the academy".

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Spoonz is talking about the dark days not nowadays

jrg333

I can't remember not seeing the academy lads at a home game for years. Reckon the KFC theory is the answer here.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
As the new season approaches we are currently one player away (and his position is under threat) from City fielding a starting eleven without any ECFC academy players.

With Harry Kite injured, Pedro, Sonny, and the others only likely to be bench warmers in the foreseeable, then the academy’s flag is carried by Alex Hartridge, and his position is under threat from Zak Jules. So I predict by the end of the month it will have happened.
How quick the change, from half a team last season to nearly none this. That’s progress for you!

On the plus side you can name an Academy eleven from players still plying their trade around the EFL and premiershite, (two of them being capped by their countries)
Pym
Key Ampadu Sparkes Storey
Grimes Collins Randall Jay
Stansfield Watkins

There are also the likes of Pond and Chrisene floating around and Gentleman George weaving his way back home (to North Devon not Exeter sadly)

As we know however the Future isn’t bleak with the likes of Harry Lee, Pedro, Sonny, J R Hartley😉, to name but a few, just sad that our continuous run is likely to come to an end shortly🥲

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
As the new season approaches we are currently one player away (and his position is under threat) from City fielding a starting eleven without any ECFC academy players.

With Harry Kite injured, Pedro, Sonny, and the others only likely to be bench warmers in the foreseeable, then the academy’s flag is carried by Alex Hartridge, and his position is under threat from Zak Jules. So I predict by the end of the month it will have happened.
How quick the change, from half a team last season to nearly none this. That’s progress for you!

On the plus side you can name an Academy eleven from players still plying their trade around the EFL and premiershite, (two of them being capped by their countries)
Pym
Key Ampadu Sparkes Storey
Grimes Collins Randall Jay
Stansfield Watkins

There are also the likes of Pond and Chrisene floating around and Gentleman George weaving his way back home (to North Devon not Exeter sadly)

As we know however the Future isn’t bleak with the likes of Harry Lee, Pedro, Sonny, J R Hartley😉, to name but a few, just sad that our continuous run is likely to come to an end shortly🥲
There's also Chieck in contention to start.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
There's also Chieck in contention to start.
Or be a bench warmer.

Yes you are right but with the recent signings I see GC’s preferred back three of Sweeney Aimson Hartridge/Jules with Chieck in the background for now.

It still doesn’t get away from the fact that wonderful streak is a hair’s breath away from being broken.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Or be a bench warmer.

Yes you are right but with the recent signings I see GC’s preferred back three of Sweeney Aimson Hartridge/Jules with Chieck in the background for now.

It still doesn’t get away from the fact that wonderful streak is a hair’s breath away from being broken.
One could also say that the approach we are now taking, is providing playing opportunities to our best youngsters, by allowing them to go out on loan and develop their games. Last season was a nightmare for some of our young players, as they were forced to "stick around" due to injuries.