• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Aaron Martin

dommers

You've listed 3 minor selections issues and unfairly laid the blame for another issue (the sale of Stockley) with Matt Taylor.
It must be coincidence then that have sorted those 3 selection issue that we're doing better. Even without Stockley.

Ash

Well playing Law out of position, not playing Lee Martin, an insistence on playing an out of form Taylor, having no plan B given the inevitable sale of Stockley, singling out Martin. Shall I go on? Luckily he seems to have sorted some of this out and learnt some new tactics this year.
Really? I love him these days, but Lee Martin was pretty gash until at least Christmas last season and didn't warrant a starting place. Our lack of real wingers forced MT's hand regarding Law playing on the left and despite this, Nicky Law was our top provider last season. When Stockley was sold, MT brought in Bowman, who is now doing the business. He didn't settle straight away, but how many players come into a side and perform at their best level immediately?

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Well playing Law out of position, not playing Lee Martin, an insistence on playing an out of form Taylor, having no plan B given the inevitable sale of Stockley, singling out Martin. Shall I go on? Luckily he seems to have sorted some of this out and learnt some new tactics this year.
"Luckily" :D :D :D

Jeez...

Grecian Max

MT did a solid job last year and was half way through his rebuild. Now he's chucked most of it Tisdales ***** we look far better.

IndoMike

Just a shame that in creating the issue last season and not sorting it out meant that he ruined our playoff chances last season
Firstly, I know you were a huge Tisdale fan, but the fact that he refused an increased offer to stay (thankfully he didn't) is hardly Matt Taylors fault.
Secondly, it's always difficult to replace a long-standing manager (see MU for details). New character, new systems. It takes time.
Thirdly, we missed out on the playoffs by one point. If Bury hadn't splashed out the cash to gain promotion (which eventually has cost them their place in the League) we probably would have been in the playoffs : which was Tisdale's maximum achievement in over 8 years.
Fourthly, Taylor lost Storey, JMT and Stockley by Xmas - 3 of our most important players. To lose those three would have been a severe test for any manager in Div 2. In my opinion Taylor worked wonders by getting our team anywhere near the playoffs.
I also wanted Marin to play more last season, but we don't know what happened behind the scenes. We can't assume that this was Taylor's fault, but it would be interesting to know.
Taylor has reshaped the team and signed some very good players - Law, Williams, Lee Martin, Ward, for example - and the team is now doing very well.
I feel sorry for you in that you refuse to enjoy our current run simply because your beloved manager decided to decline the offer of a new contract. I'm sure he wouldn't have left unless he had been offered much more money than City could offer. So you're angry with Taylor because Tisdale wanted a rolling contract and more money? He really wasn't worth breaking City's bank for, you know. By the way, I'd like to thank Tisdale for taking Simpson, Harley and Boateng off our hands : I notice the latter two were both dropped for Milton Keynes' last match on Saturday.

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
People who are overly critical of taylor in his first season as manager, yet said nothing about the sh*t dished out for years under the previous one. That sums up dimmers perfectly

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Rosencrantz

This is the area that Aaron has improved on from last season, particularly aerial challenges which are key as a league two centre back.