• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

A conundrum Exeter City v Stevenage Tuesday 21 January Kick off 7.00 p.m.

Incontinentia

I really don't know. What I mean is that if the crowd could be as many as 20k (for example : and that's a stretch) then a smaller ground might provide a better atmosphere But each fan will have his own opinion I have no idea how many City fans would go to the final if at Wembley.
I see your point, but the truth is that the crowd won't be anywhere near that if it's away from Wembley. I don't really see it myself, but the truth is that quite a few people go along because it's the "home of football" or something, but wouldn't go elsewhere.

To give an example from rugby, they moved the Anglo-Welsh Cup away from Twickenham from 2009-10. Crowds went from about 50k to about 10k. It was always a second tier event at best and, once the allure of the big stadium experience had gone, there wasn't much of a market. Now it's true that the gulf in quality of stadium between Twickenham and Kingsholm or the Stoop is bigger than that between Wembley and Craven Cottage or Stamford Bridge (say). But you'd be lucky to get close to half the crowd if you moved it.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I see your point, but the truth is that the crowd won't be anywhere near that if it's away from Wembley. I don't really see it myself, but the truth is that quite a few people go along because it's the "home of football" or something, but wouldn't go elsewhere.

To give an example from rugby, they moved the Anglo-Welsh Cup away from Twickenham from 2009-10. Crowds went from about 50k to about 10k. It was always a second tier event at best and, once the allure of the big stadium experience had gone, there wasn't much of a market. Now it's true that the gulf in quality of stadium between Twickenham and Kingsholm or the Stoop is bigger than that between Wembley and Craven Cottage or Stamford Bridge (say). But you'd be lucky to get close to half the crowd if you moved it.
Incontinentia,
It depends who we play against if we reach the Final. Portsmouth might take a few.
But I doubt that an U23 team would attract many.
But each to his own and it's at Wembley anyway, so hopefully you'll get your trip there 👍

Oldsmobile-88

1157 home fans was a vast improvement on the 353 for the last Tuesday game in this competition.

MT mentioned the small crowd & boycott of the competition in his post match interview.
I wonder if things will improve if we have a home Semi Final tie ?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
It might improve some, but a boycott is a boycott!

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Incontinentia,
It depends who we play against if we reach the Final. Portsmouth might take a few.
I'd imagine Portsmouth would take a lot. Admittedly it was against Sunderland, but Wembley was full when they won last year's final.

DB9

I'd imagine Portsmouth would take a lot. Admittedly it was against Sunderland, but Wembley was full when they won last year's final.
That final was for the then sponsors Checkatrade a dream for them, Not only the two biggest teams in the lower divisions in the final, It was a sell out and spoken on TV for weeks, They couldn't of asked for a better way to bow out sponsoring the competition