• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

10 years ago today

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
My first, and to date only pre-season friendly (involving City anyway, I've since been to one at Hampton & Richmond with some Stevenage chums), *that* infamous match at Hayes & Yeading.

Sorry to remind those who, like me, had the misfortune to be there that night...!

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
10 years ago we were non league weren't we? What happened at Hayes & Yeading?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
The match was billed as Hayes & Yeading vs Exeter City, so those attending (mostly London Exiles) were expecting a side if not quite the first XI then at least mostly first teamers.

Our line-up instead was mostly (all but one very useless - some of whom *extremely* useless) trialists, a few of our youths, and the H&Y 3rd choice keeper in goal.

manc grecian

Imagine being stupid enough to travel from Exeter to watch it.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The only player that looked decent was Shakes. Went off to Brentford, and never had a great career. Now playing for Boreham Wood.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
The only player that looked decent was Shakes. Went off to Brentford, and never had a great career. Now playing for Boreham Wood.
He was the "one" in my "all but one"!

I still have nightmares about that bloke who looked (and played) more like a second row forward.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
To add to my confusion of who the players were, Hayes and Yeading played in 'our' red and white striped shirts.

IndoMike

No great Shakes, then.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I can't find the match report. But here is the thoughts of Exeweb in 2007 on Shakes http://www.exeweb.com/forums/showthread.php?17557-Ricky-Shakes

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I did a match report for the OS which garnered rather a lot of debate on the Matchday Thread - I'll see if I can dig out the MD thread but sadly the OS report is long gone into the ether. I wasn't particularly complimentary about the players on show, although those who were there tended to agree I'd held back somewhat...!