10 years ago today

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
My first, and to date only pre-season friendly (involving City anyway, I've since been to one at Hampton & Richmond with some Stevenage chums), *that* infamous match at Hayes & Yeading.

Sorry to remind those who, like me, had the misfortune to be there that night...!

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
The match was billed as Hayes & Yeading vs Exeter City, so those attending (mostly London Exiles) were expecting a side if not quite the first XI then at least mostly first teamers.

Our line-up instead was mostly (all but one very useless - some of whom *extremely* useless) trialists, a few of our youths, and the H&Y 3rd choice keeper in goal.

Hants_red

exeweb.com admin, Esq.
Staff member
The only player that looked decent was Shakes. Went off to Brentford, and never had a great career. Now playing for Boreham Wood.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
The only player that looked decent was Shakes. Went off to Brentford, and never had a great career. Now playing for Boreham Wood.
He was the "one" in my "all but one"!

I still have nightmares about that bloke who looked (and played) more like a second row forward.

Hants_red

exeweb.com admin, Esq.
Staff member
To add to my confusion of who the players were, Hayes and Yeading played in 'our' red and white striped shirts.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I did a match report for the OS which garnered rather a lot of debate on the Matchday Thread - I'll see if I can dig out the MD thread but sadly the OS report is long gone into the ether. I wasn't particularly complimentary about the players on show, although those who were there tended to agree I'd held back somewhat...!