• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Please Join The 19/31 Fund

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
Exeweb exclusive! Here's a letter that will be circulated, emailed, posted and otherwise publicised from tomorrow. Please give it a read and, if you can possibly support the scheme, email us at [email protected]

PLEASE JOIN THE 19/31 FUND

16th July 2009

Dear fellow Grecian

A PLEA FROM FIVE EXILED CITY SUPPORTERS!

CAN YOU SPARE £19 A MONTH TO INVEST IN OUR CLUB?

Just over three weeks from now, our Exeter City side begins a campaign in the third tier of English football for the first time in sixteen years.

It’s amazing how far we’ve come in such a short space of time. Indeed, two consecutive promotions has sent a squad largely assembled to get City out of the Blue Square Premier straight into battle with clubs like Leeds, Charlton and, well, you know the fixture list.

As well as being hugely proud of what we’ve achieved and wildly excited about the coming season, we’ll also confess to being just a little concerned. Has it all come too soon? Are we ready to make the giant leap from Northwich to Norwich? Certainly every single fan has to play his or her part if we’re to continue being successful.

NOW IS THE TIME TO INCREASE OUR SUPPORT FOR CITY

We think that as equal members of the Supporters’ Trust which owns the majority shareholding in Exeter City, the time is right for us to pay a little more each month to help Paul Tisdale’s side step up to the new level. The directors of many other League One clubs will be writing cheques and underwriting loans to stretch their wage bills, and we want to do our bit for City.

Most prices have been increased at St James’ Park, so the majority of loyal supporters will be contributing extra money to watch their side.

But, like many Trust members, we live away from Exeter and don’t get home as often as we’d like. We want to step up our support as City climb up the league, and, having spoken with Exeter City and the Supporters’ Trust, we’ve come up with just the way to help our League One fight.

IF WE PAY £19 PER MONTH EACH, WE CAN FUND A CITY PLAYER

The idea is a simple one. A group of City supporters pay £19 a month into 'The 19/31 Fund'. We pass the money, via the Trust, to Exeter City FC, and they use the funds to pay the wages of a City player.

The player will be given Squad Number 31, hence The 19/31 Fund (most Grecians won’t need reminding why the figures 1931 are significant for us).

We’ve left it too late to tempt Kaka or Ronaldo to the scene of the Scott Hiley nutmeg, but if lots of us act now, we can really give Paul Tisdale and everyone at Exeter City a massive boost.

Exeter City’s Chief Executive (Football) Julian Tagg has explained the difference we can make, and promised that City’s football budget will be increased by the amount we invest.

= If just 30 of us agree to pay £19 a month, we’ll pay the wages of a young professional starting out in his career - maybe a local lad ready to follow in the footsteps of George Friend, Dean Moxey and Liam Sercombe.

= If our key target of 70 people pay £19 a month, City could bring in a quality youngster with that bit more experience - maybe the next Paul Jones or Ryan Harley.

= If the idea really takes off and 130 people pay £19 a month, we’d really give Paul Tisdale the chance to attract a top quality, and possibly very much in demand, youngster to Exeter. Our reputation for excellence in developing footballers means that ambitious lads want to join City. Can we contribute the cash to make that happen?

To be clear, our plan is to fund an extra player that the club otherwise wouldn't be able to afford. If that player ever pulls on the red and white shirt, it will be a fantastic feeling - and the more money we get, the better our Number 31 and the more chance of him playing.

PLEASE SIGN UP NOW

Paul Tisdale is well aware of our plan and, unsurprisingly, he’s looking forward to hearing how we do.

We’d all rather be at the Park cheering the team on, but for less than the price of a single FlyBe Stand ticket, you can make a monthly contribution to our club that will be a big help to City.

Email us at [email protected] to sign up and get payment details. Please act quickly though; we want to be telling Tis which type of player he can target by the end of July. Please help us to give Tis some timely good news!

Yours sincerely

Andrew Long, West Midlands
James Forsyth, Bath
Darren Drew, Kent
Ed Hyland, Oxford
Alan Crockford, London

email us at: [email protected]

PS: As soon as we know who our Number 31 is, we'll let you know and we'll keep you informed with exclusive interviews and updates on our lad's progress. There should also be a decidedly exclusive '19/31 Fund' badge in our Christmas card to you. :)

SMALL PRINT

Money will be collected monthly in an Exeter Exiles bank account. You may cancel your payments at any time.

All money paid into ‘The 19/31 Fund’ will be transferred to the Exeter City Supporters’ Trust who will pay the money to Exeter City Football Club in whichever way is agreed between the two organisations. (At present, as with the Trust's existing monthly payments to ECFC, our additional funding would be treated as a loan from the Trust).

Although it has been agreed that Exeter City FC will increase the club’s playing budget by the amount given under The 19/31 Fund, and will use this additional budget to sign an extra player, our only legal responsibility is to pass all money received from scheme members on to Exeter City Supporters' Trust.

There are no admin fees or other charges. Please help us to make this work by signing up today.

Last edited:

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
QUOTES TO ACCOMPANY LETTER

James says: “We need to create a sustainable platform in League One. Our Trust ownership is something we should be very proud of, but it needs continued support. The thought of sliding back towards non-league football due to a lack of investment is too horrible to imagine.”

Andrew says: “The camaraderie and convenience of away games mean I give more money to City’s rivals than our own club. The 19/31 Fund will change that, and I hope many other exiled supporters are able to step up their backing for Exeter City.”

Darren says: “"It's been wonderful to see young players getting their chance with City in recent seasons, but that was easier to do in League Two and especially the Conference. At this higher level, it’s all the more important that we have quality youngsters coming through. We all have to make sure that happens.”

Ed says: “As we move higher in the League pyramid it is fantastic to think that we, the fans, could pay for a promising young player whether from Exeter or further afield. I’m sure Paul Tisdale and his team could persuade another very talented youngster that their future lies with a progressive club like City. Let’s give this fine manager an opportunity to do it.”

Alan says: “For all my ranting and raving about City, there are skint kids in Exeter who pay more over the turnstile than I do. I just want to do my bit and I’m desperate for others to join in and make this a success.”

ECFC '72

Laughing at the people showing their true colours
I like the idea Alan, should appeal to a few peoples appetite.

I'd love to be able to sign up, exiled or not, (not) sadly I couldn't even do £9pm !

Good luck though, and well done to all those involved in this, I think, (hope) it'll be a success.

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
That's very kind of you mate. I've no idea how many people will go for it, all I know is that it's perfect for me - and I can now go to many more away games than homes knowing that I've done that bit extra for City, just like the SJP regulars.

One extra in already, so we're up to six - just 24 to go for our first target.

(PS: I have to log off for the night now. I don't have any faith other than ECFC, but I'll be praying for a bit more good news on the new members front in the morning!)

Northants Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
email sent .. does that make me number 7?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I would struggle with £19 a month. Could some of us club together?

davidjenkin

Well-known Exeweb poster
Backing our manager like I always have. Geddon Tis
This is a great idea. Coupled with the revenue from tonights Spurs game, the Moxey money, new merchandise sales, ST sales, trust boosting organised by Adrian, I applaud the club and its fans for getting in there early with as financial boosts. We will sell out many games this year and as soon as the club draw up, and publish a ticket allocation scheme for games where it will be a competition for places, I'll be very satisfied that we will be ready for life in the third tier.

That being said, I'm going to every game this season again home and away (except for Oldham away unless I can find an excuse to bail on being usher at my mates wedding), have travel costs to see the missis who lives in Sunderland and am trying to get on the property ladder within 1-2 years and saving, so I cannot commit to the scheme (I know I'm not an exile and thats where this is directed but if I could have afforded to I'd have done it AND turned up each game). Would it be possible to set up either a paypal account or a justgiving account where one-off payments can be made to boost the coffers - this may suit more supporters who attend games and who are also desperate to help the club by directing their monies at this particular project?

hienzeECFC

ive just got a new job (i think) so once ive raised enough for my season ticket ill try to get £19 a month, although i imagine it will be a bit late so i might just go with donating more to the trust.

great idea tho

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
email sent .. does that make me number 7?
Thanks Northants. Number 8 in fact :)

I would struggle with £19 a month. Could some of us club together?
Yes, definitely an option. Are you okay to find your own 19/31 partner or do you need some sort of dating agency option?

Would it be possible to set up either a paypal account or a justgiving account where one-off payments can be made to boost the coffers
I think generally it would be best to leave this, in the main, as a pay monthly scheme. I would hope that the Trust and the Supporters Club will have plenty of ways to drag your money from you on an as and when basis. That said, the bank details will be made public and there'll be an address to send cheques, so there's nothing to stop anyone chipping in whenever they want.

Now, who's going to be Number, Number, Number Nine...? :)

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Yes, definitely an option. Are you okay to find your own 19/31 partner or do you need some sort of dating agency option?
Its being discussed amongst Hampshire Grecians.