• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Management of Change - Exeter City

OmanGrecian

Hi all, was hoping I could get some views from you that I could use as part of a Masters essay I’m working on. I’m working on a module called “Management of Change”. I’ve been tasked to write an essay on a company/business that may, at sometime, undergo business change. I thought I’d choose something close to my heart, Exeter City.

I’m going to write mine on how, using change theories, Exeter City can move away from being fan owned and a big investor comes in. Disclaimer: I’m not saying I am for this, just want to have a topic to write about.

As part of managing change, I would like to get a view about fan’s feelings on this type of change, as obviously people will have different views for and against, so I need to write about how these differing views can be managed during change. Any views will be greatly appreciated.

Matt Russell

One thing you can do is not present the choices as an either/or. There is nothing to stop a big investor coming in now as part of the current structure. What he or she can't do is take control on account of their investment being significantly larger than that of other individuals.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
What would happen to the small army of volunteers? Would they be so happy giving up their time, expertise etc once it is not a fan owned club?

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
How could the fans police the new owner, we've had our share of fraudsters, property developers etc.

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
How could the fans police the new owner, we've had our share of fraudsters, property developers etc.
This, look what happens when the investor gets bored and/or the money runs out.
I’d rather be ECFC any day of the week than another Bolton/Pompey etc.

Antony Moxey

One thing you can do is not present the choices as an either/or. There is nothing to stop a big investor coming in now as part of the current structure. What he or she can't do is take control on account of their investment being significantly larger than that of other individuals.
It wouldn’t be much of a management change if he did write it from that viewpoint. I reckon he’d struggle to pen more than a sentence of two: this is how we do things at Exeter City. Which is exactly the way we’d still do things if someone turned up with a trouser load of folding. The end, degree please.

WXF

Fan stewardship of ECFC has been one of the highlights of my life so, other than that, I'm indifferent to it

Matt Russell

It wouldn’t be much of a management change if he did write it from that viewpoint. I reckon he’d struggle to pen more than a sentence of two: this is how we do things at Exeter City. Which is exactly the way we’d still do things if someone turned up with a trouser load of folding. The end, degree please.
That would depend on whether you saw a change from an annual turnover of less than £200,00 to, for example, £5 Million as merely scaling up.

IndoMike

Hi all, was hoping I could get some views from you that I could use as part of a Masters essay I’m working on. I’m working on a module called “Management of Change”. I’ve been tasked to write an essay on a company/business that may, at sometime, undergo business change. I thought I’d choose something close to my heart, Exeter City.

I’m going to write mine on how, using change theories, Exeter City can move away from being fan owned and a big investor comes in. Disclaimer: I’m not saying I am for this, just want to have a topic to write about.

As part of managing change, I would like to get a view about fan’s feelings on this type of change, as obviously people will have different views for and against, so I need to write about how these differing views can be managed during change. Any views will be greatly appreciated.
Transparency would be a starting point. Can I have a PhD instead of the Master's?

Antony Moxey

That would depend on whether you saw a change from an annual turnover of less than £200,00 to, for example, £5 Million as merely scaling up.
In your scenario it would be.