Page 21 of 162 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics Today

Re: Politics Today

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jinx View Post
    Is Gove going to stab Boris in the back again? Is Boris gaining traction amongst his fellow MPs? As long he gets to the last two, he's a shoe in given the members love him. I'm hearing the pro-EU pack are favouring him over their doomsday scenario of Raab, which I found a bit weird.
    I'm not hearing that re: the pro-EU lot, in fact there are reports coming out of determined bids to block Boris at all costs.

As I said previously, while Boris in a flat poll comparing all candidates side by side tends to come out on top, the "Anyone But Boris" vote is also massive amongst the membership. The poll I referred to of members (link on the other thread) showed that members who preferred other candidates didn't really transfer their votes to Boris in a STV-based vote, leading Raab to come out on top once it became a straight run-off.

I would vote for Boris should he be on the ballot (and that's a huge "if"!) only if the other candidate is Amber Rudd or similar.

The big myth is about Gove stabbing Boris in the back. Boris brought it about himself when he messed up his leadership launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    I'm not hearing that re: the pro-EU lot, in fact there are reports coming out of determined bids to block Boris at all costs.

As I said previously, while Boris in a flat poll comparing all candidates side by side tends to come out on top, the "Anyone But Boris" vote is also massive amongst the membership. The poll I referred to of members (link on the other thread) showed that members who preferred other candidates didn't really transfer their votes to Boris in a STV-based vote, leading Raab to come out on top once it became a straight run-off.

I would vote for Boris should he be on the ballot (and that's a huge "if"!) only if the other candidate is Amber Rudd or similar.

The big myth is about Gove stabbing Boris in the back. Boris brought it about himself when he messed up his leadership launch.
    Interesting. Would you vote for Boris over Gove? Or Raab?

Also, were Boris not to make it the last two, would there be uproar amongst the Membership? They simply can't put another lightweight in charge (like Rudd, Hancock or similar); it'll be the death of them.

We're being played by the Government, feel very uncomfortable about this (note. this article does contain a lot of words). https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/m...error-planning

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jinx View Post
    Interesting. Would you vote for Boris over Gove? Or Raab?

Also, were Boris not to make it the last two, would there be uproar amongst the Membership? They simply can't put another lightweight in charge (like Rudd, Hancock or similar); it'll be the death of them.
    No - I'd only vote for Boris if he were up against someone from the Ultra-Remainer wing of the party, or the Francois-Baker-Bone type wing. Furthermore I'd wish to vote for a leader who, while the B word is clearly still uppermost in people's minds, shares a similar outlook to me elsewhere. Raab in particular is making all the right noises on that score as far as I'm concerned.

I think as long as it's a fair fight, and that someone from the Brexit side of the fence made it to the ballot, the membership at large could be sated. I agree re: the potential outcome for the party of voting in a leader like Rudd. The next leader needs to be someone with broad appeal across the party, an extremist from either end would be a catastrophe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hants_red View Post
    Fancy thinking that Nigel Farage and Stephen Yaxley-Lennon are the good guys. The Right in this country choose really awful people to be their heroes.
    Looking at Farage on the television he does irritate me when he laughs/sniggers at things that are not particularly funny. However, he is passionate about leaving the Franco/German dominated EU and that appeals to lots of decent people you couldn't call unpleasant right wing knuckle-draggers even if you wanted too. The reality is that among Farage's following there is what I call those ubiquitous and plentiful "quiet people" who mark the cards of people who wave little red books at the despatch box and then mark their voting slips accordingly.

I'm beginning to wonder if we're reaching endgame re: May. Most of the Brexiteers in the cabinet didn't show up for PMQs, while the '22 are meeting tonight. Watch this space, etc.

I'm beginning to wonder if we're reaching endgame re: May. Most of the Brexiteers in the cabinet didn't show up for PMQs, while the '22 are meeting tonight. Watch this space, etc.
    Blimey, When did this lightbulb moment hit you Jason? (In the nicest possible way) When everyone else has seen it coming for months

Quote Originally Posted by DB9 View Post
    Blimey, When did this lightbulb moment hit you Jason? (In the nicest possible way) When everyone else has seen it coming for months
    I know, but it's seemingly coming to a head today.

I know, but it's seemingly coming to a head today.
    Agree, Dreadful rehash of a dreadful deal, It's getting to the point where she is coming across as desperate and embbarasing, Time for the Tory grandees to get their backbones back

Well yeah..Slow but sure..