Page 18 of 123 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics Today

Re: Politics Today

Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    For me I said there may be some short term pain but in the medium to long term we'd be wondering what all the fuss was about.
    Absolutely. There will be losers, but there'll be winners too. My own situation is proof of that. I've moved from the losing side to the winning given the current climate (not really of my own volition), and boy, am I now glad it all happened.

Quote Originally Posted by IndoMike View Post
    It's breeding, innit?
    What breeding? A Welshman and "the sort of chap who has to buy his own furniture" as one Tory grandee remarked when he arrived in the House of Commons...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jinx View Post
    Absolutely. There will be losers, but there'll be winners too. My own situation is proof of that. I've moved from the losing side to the winning given the current climate (not really of my own volition), and boy, am I now glad it all happened.
    Intrigued. How are your improved circumstances the consequence of a Brexit that hasn't happened yet?

Quote Originally Posted by arthur View Post
    Intrigued. How are your improved circumstances the consequence of a Brexit that hasn't happened yet?
    Currency speculators won big, foreign companies (able to buy the best British companies for a huge discount after the pound crashed) won big.

A small, personal financial gain may make you feel like you are winning in the short-term but whether that pays off in the long-term in relation to the consequences for the NHS for example is highly questionable. In my opinion, and I don't mean to be rude, it is an exemplar of the narrow, short-sighted thinking that has given us Brexit to view gains or losses in such a way.

Unlike Jason I think the long-term consequences of Brexit (certainly No-Deal/Hard Brexit) will be really quite profound. Not necessarily purely on an economic level but culturally and politically. Brexit certainly won't be the revival of Great Britain, we are a laughing stock and societal divides exposed and, more importantly, created as a result of the lies and fake news spread in the last three years will not be easily healed.

Quite a long story but I've found myself in self employment (contracting) due to many companies not willing to commit to hiring permanent staff due to the ongoing Brexit uncertainty. They need bums on seats by way of IT contractors on a 6/9/12 month basis. Having been back in that market for over 6 months now I can say that there are more and more contracts on offer out there and what's more, the daily rates on offer have increased by around 25%. Simple supply and demand. The week after Brexit got extended to October, my phone was ringing off the hook with agents desperately looking to fill new 6 month contracts that just came in from clients. You could almost name your own price.

What I've also noticed is that 10 years ago, a lot of roles I applied for were to oversee offshoring of IT jobs (mostly to India). What I am seeing recently are jobs that involve on-shoring of jobs back to the UK (from all over).

So from where I'm standing all I'm seeing is sliver linings. Happy days!
    Last edited by Mr Jinx; 21 May 2019 at 10:53.

What breeding? A Welshman and "the sort of chap who has to buy his own furniture" as one Tory grandee remarked when he arrived in the House of Commons...
    Mine was a droll comment.. not meant to be taken literally

We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels

Q. What's the difference between a question and a milkshake?
    A. Farage can always avoid a question.
    Last edited by Grecian2K; 21 May 2019 at 13:42.

British Steel close to administration. Like several other companies, BREXIT is not the only cause, but we do export 70% if our exports to the EU, Turkey and N. Africa. Govt says they will do all in their power to save it, so that's a relief.

We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels

So no British Steel for Nigel to have a future in when it all goes pearshaped?

How poetic!