• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Club Cricket 2019

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it's that time again. Our season actually started a couple of weeks ago with PSFs with the proper stuff not starting until May 11th, but I'll be donning the whites for the first time tomorrow in our 2s at Ashford.

Although I'm not sure how often I'll actually play for the 4s as I'll probably be roped in mainly with the 2s and 3s, at the AGM I found myself volunteering to be VC of the 4s. Our previous Skip and VC stood down (in truth they're both too good for that level), then the guy who was going to step in decided instead to battle the Big C this summer so will take over next season (his treatment finishes in July and should be "all clear" by then but not in time to play at all this year). This meant a very mild mannered chap agreed to step in for this year, but he made a plea for an experienced head alongside him as he claims not to be very tactically aware, so in a moment of madness I told him I'd help him out.

Our club umpire greeted this with "How can you play in the 4s after the catch you took in the 1s last season?" :)

This season sees us enter a T20 league as the "Kempton Tigers", complete with coloured kit an' all that. I've ordered a set of kit but I have no intention of playing in the knockabout stuff (will be mostly 1s anyway). We're also running a Fantasy Cricket league, for shame I'm priced at just £3 million. I'll show 'em.

mustangspeed2006

I had my first run-out this season playing in the 2s on the weekend — nice easy victory in a shortened 30-over match due to a late afternoon event on the field.

We bowled them out for 138 off 28.3 with my rusty left-arm orthodox going 0-7 off two. Three nice easy catches on the boundary to complete a satisfying day in the field though.

We knocked off the total in 21.4 overs for the loss of two, no need to don the pads as no. 10 and could enjoy a beer or two once skip had his eye in.

The one concern was a sore shoulder after taking a dive in the field. I'll need to keep my eye on that, especially with a golf holiday coming up in July.

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
9:30pm on Friday night got a call up to the 1s, also playing Ashford but at home. What was made very interesting about the fixture is that our 2s Skip from last season, Vish, announced during the week he had moved on to Ashford, and who should turn up to play? You think he'd have left it a week before making his debut!

Two of our top four arrived late meaning I had to pad up to go in at 3 if necessary, fortunately our opening pair stuck around for our late arrivals to change and pad up. That did mean, though, sitting outside in the freezing cold battling hypothermia without even a jumper to put on. Our Chairman, Martin, was out for 49 (only to recall while fielding that our umpire had given one he'd tickled round the corner as a leg bye!), while last season's skipper, Ellis, made an unbeaten ton (after scoring 150 last week). I picked up some red ink in scoring 2 not out right at the death as we scored 208 off our 40.

In reply, our new skipper Joel (brother of Ellis) and young Ethan put them right under the cosh with a spell of tight bowling meaning they were always falling behind the rate. As they tried to get back into it we started to pick up wickets, with the utter buffet from batsman Jeeta somehow contriving to snare 4 victims. Vish perhaps proved he hadn't fully ditched our cause by running out two of his team mates - in fairness having had me in his side most of last season he must have thought even when his partner hit one straight to me at midwicket a single would be safe, but I gathered and underarmed it in one movement to the bowler's end to have him out by several yards. They finished about 170/9, to earn us a win against a side the division above us in the league.

We then played in the National 40 over cup against far stronger oppo (Spencer) on Sunday, the first match of our new fantasy league. Jokingly I said to Ellis that I hoped he hadn't used up all his runs in the last two innings as he's my captain. Meanwhile I dropped one youngster in favour of another. So I open up the scorecard on Play Cricket, and yes, Ellis got a 2nd baller, while the youngster I'd dropped from my team, Joe, scored a 50, as we were soundly beaten by 9 wickets.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
9:30pm on Friday night got a call up to the 1s, also playing Ashford but at home. What was made very interesting about the fixture is that our 2s Skip from last season, Vish, announced during the week he had moved on to Ashford, and who should turn up to play? You think he'd have left it a week before making his debut!

Two of our top four arrived late meaning I had to pad up to go in at 3 if necessary, fortunately our opening pair stuck around for our late arrivals to change and pad up. That did mean, though, sitting outside in the freezing cold battling hypothermia without even a jumper to put on. Our Chairman, Martin, was out for 49 (only to recall while fielding that our umpire had given one he'd tickled round the corner as a leg bye!), while last season's skipper, Ellis, made an unbeaten ton (after scoring 150 last week). I picked up some red ink in scoring 2 not out right at the death as we scored 208 off our 40.

In reply, our new skipper Joel (brother of Ellis) and young Ethan put them right under the cosh with a spell of tight bowling meaning they were always falling behind the rate. As they tried to get back into it we started to pick up wickets, with the utter buffet from batsman Jeeta somehow contriving to snare 4 victims. Vish perhaps proved he hadn't fully ditched our cause by running out two of his team mates - in fairness having had me in his side most of last season he must have thought even when his partner hit one straight to me at midwicket a single would be safe, but I gathered and underarmed it in one movement to the bowler's end to have him out by several yards. They finished about 170/9, to earn us a win against a side the division above us in the league.

We then played in the National 40 over cup against far stronger oppo (Spencer) on Sunday, the first match of our new fantasy league. Jokingly I said to Ellis that I hoped he hadn't used up all his runs in the last two innings as he's my captain. Meanwhile I dropped one youngster in favour of another. So I open up the scorecard on Play Cricket, and yes, Ellis got a 2nd baller, while the youngster I'd dropped from my team, Joe, scored a 50, as we were soundly beaten by 9 wickets.
Our Ethan into cricket now Jason ? :)

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Our Ethan into cricket now Jason ? :)
If he has added 3-4 inches in height, chopped his barnet, changed colour and become a left-arm fast medium, yes!

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
I’ve retired, but am going to be chairman of selectors for my beloved Sandford CC this season....

We start with Exeter at home on Saturday for the 1st X1 & Kentisbeare Away for the 2nd X1

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve retired, but am going to be chairman of selectors for my beloved Sandford CC this season....

We start with Exeter at home on Saturday for the 1st X1 & Kentisbeare Away for the 2nd X1
Haven't you retired a couple of times previously?

As the weather warms up, the 2s are a man short, the urge I'm sure will return....

I'm still hoping my knees hold up enough to keep playing at least for a few more years yet. Then it's a white coat for me I suspect. Our club umpire is already urging me to do my badges.

Alistair20000

Credy the medium pacer retires annually but cannot resist the call to arms. :)

Cricket take his mind off Poo when they come up short

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Forecast for tomorrow is for another freezing cold day with a strong wind in from oop North. Lovely. I hope the pavilion at Chertsey is warmer than ours.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Credy the medium pacer retires annually but cannot resist the call to arms. :)

Cricket take his mind off Poo when they come up short
I’ve tried retiring but they keep bloody asking me to play.....

Im playing today ��