• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Player usage

ryancooper327

I made this chart with data from transfermarkt so apologies if it’s slightly out.

It’s clear we have a defined ‘starting 11’ despite the fact one of them left in Jan! 5 players have played more than 75% of available minutes.

What stands out to me is game time for loanees (bar O’Shea) - admittedly they were 6 month deals so you can argue they played 50% of the minutes available to them. But is that enough to make an impact?

My other concern is 7 of our most used players are 29 and over - is this an aging squad or indicative of league 2?

Players tend to be ‘in their prime’ around 24-29 and we’ve only had 3 players in that range play more than 75% of available minutes.

I know stats are not everything as there are many issues and circumstances but I feel this is a good way of looking at the squad.

* I think the stats include the efl trophy
** Also sorry if this is the wrong place and belongs somewhere else

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent graph - thanks.

Agreed re: the loanees - almost makes you almost wonder why we've bothered with some of them. I think we'd have seen a lot more of Ogbene had Brentford let us keep him for the season.

Boyo

Really interesting. I'm guessing the minutes data is based on all competitions, as some of the numbers for fringe players seems high. I'd love to see the data based on League games only.

Also interesting to note how few players we have in that "prime" age, three of which (Bowman, Tilson and Brown) have only been available to us for half the season.

ryancooper327

Really interesting. I'm guessing the minutes data is based on all competitions, as some of the numbers for fringe players seems high. I'd love to see the data based on League games only.

Also interesting to note how few players we have in that "prime" age, three of which (Bowman, Tilson and Brown) have only been available to us for half the season.

Updated only counting league 2 minutes

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Excellent graph - thanks.

Agreed re: the loanees - almost makes you almost wonder why we've bothered with some of them. I think we'd have seen a lot more of Ogbene had Brentford let us keep him for the season.
Our loanees have been very hit and miss this season and I wonder if this is because other clubs were reluctant to trust a rookie manager. Hopefully the progress that O’Shea has made will encourage other clubs to send us some better players next season. However, what happened with Ogbene shows the dangers of relying on the loan system; we spent the first half of the season converting him from an exciting but raw prospect to a player who was starting to look like he understood his role of the team and could make a real contribution only for Brentford’s new manager to pointlessly recall him so he could play about 5 minutes of Championship football.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Surely if Donny Wilson is 22 and hasn't made the Wolves 1st team scene he will be released this summer?

ryancooper327

Surely if Donny Wilson is 22 and hasn't made the Wolves 1st team scene he will be released this summer?
I would imagine so. I think he is from Bristol/Gloucester way so it might be a possibility. He’s been underused for me, looked fairly quick when I’ve seen him though.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Interesting graph..Woodman for all his detractors over the years is only just below the median of minutes playing time.

tonykellowfan

I would release Lee Martin, Holmes and Forte, we have to move onto younger players.

Last edited:

ryancooper327

I would release Lee Martin, Holmes and Forte, we have to move onto younger players.
Think I saw somewhere Forte is contracted for next season. May be wrong though!