• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Season overview from the IP stand

David Treharne

Probably premature, but needing to get my thoughts in order before we play this afternoon's game, and I give a paper at an International Conference about fan ownership next week.
Firstly I think we've done better than I expected, but not as well as I hoped. The updates and improvements to the ground have been a huge advance, and the Clubs efforts in social media have got better and better. Given the circumstances in which the manager took over I think he's done a remarkably good job, and I grateful for his candid assessments of the games. I recognised the games that he's talked about, unlike his predecessor. His acquisitions for the squad have been mixed in quality, Law a definite bonus, Forte disappointing as were a couple of the loanees, but with honourable exceptions especially O'Shea and Wilson K. On the other hand some members of the squad have disappointed, the Captain for one, and not withstanding his injuries Hiram and latterly Troy Brown. We're also going to have to think carefully about a rebuild for the squad, some of this years squad need to go, some will go of their own volition. We need another couple of full backs, a couple of hard strongmen midfielders and a foil for Bowman. Most disappointingly I think we've been starved of blooding a few of the youngsters with just bench appearances, Ben Seymour for example could have been given more opportunities. Archie Collins has been a real bonus if not always in the position he's been played. There's more, a lot more, to pick over, but with 20 minutes to kick off in what will probably be a season defining game probably not the best time to post! I haven't even touched on Pete's favourite topic, but that's another area that needs careful consideration. Perhaps if we can build a squad that will perform well more regularly and a less injury prone set of players next year will be an improvement.
Sits back a waits for severe criticism!

Last edited:

i8cornwall

Can I comment on this even though my season ticket is in the big bank?

Agree with most of what you have said. The ground being finished is nice but think that any more development plans to the ground or training ground should be put on hold and the football should be priority.

Taylor has been a breath of fresh air after years of the bore fest that we had to endure under the old manager. Hopfuly some more of the youth will be played next season and taylor will bring in players able to take us up.

A clear out is needed but my fear is that the club can't and won't increase funds to get us either promoted or to survive in league 1. Personally if we don't go up this season ( Id be very surprised if we did to be honest) then a top 3 finish should be the minimum target next season IMO.

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Can’t find much to disagree with on your assessment Dave. A couple of things from me though: firstly too many home defeats. Home form is what brings the crowds in (if we won all our home games but lost all our aways the crowds at SJP would be much higher than if it was the other way round) and thus the cash. We need a lot more MK performances than Crawley ones.

Also think that should we miss the playoffs this year it might be something of a blessing in disguise. We’ve had two seasons running where players have had to continue long after everyone else has jetted off on their holidays and what with both seasons ending in disappointment it might be no bad thing to let the squad have a full R&R period and the manager a bit more time to plan his close season and recruitment process.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Also think that should we miss the playoffs this year it might be something of a blessing in disguise. We’ve had two seasons running where players have had to continue long after everyone else has jetted off on their holidays and what with both seasons ending in disappointment it might be no bad thing to let the squad have a full R&R period and the manager a bit more time to plan his close season and recruitment process.
Groundsman Clive Pring will agree with this too. Pitch needs TLC, though it has been helped by the mild winter etc.

Colesman Ballz

Groundsman Clive Pring will agree with this too. Pitch needs TLC, though it has been helped by the mild winter etc.
Wonder what Clive's thoughts are on "Mama Mia" ?

DB9

The ground as it stands with the redevelopment is totally adequate for L2 or L1 football, In fact it's a vast improvement and well done to all those involved to getting to this point. Going up with this group of players would need a major overhaul, We have been too inconsistent and season after season our home form has let us down time and time again, As for the play offs, A third season in them and possible third season of heart break I'm not sure i want that, I'll take it if it happens but it won't be an easy watch knowing us. MT has done a good job, His honest assessment of games has been so refreshing but some of his signings have been a bit of a let down, Losing Stockley mid-season was a huge blow and replacing him hasn't been easy, Bowman has taken a long time to hit the net but four in four does look promising for the future. Next season it will be his squad more or less so that is a time to judge him.

Financially at the moment the club is in a very healthy position but we all know due to our model if we don't sell gems or see some kids coming through that other clubs show interest in then any money in the bank will not last forever, Running a club doesn't come cheap and if we have no sales for a season or two we could find ourselves going cap in hand to the PFA again. What ever happens this season and of course depending what league we're in next season, The work that MT and everyone else does behind the scenes during the summer is going to so important but unlike last season when we had the "Will he go or not" of the old manager, MT will be in place to be able to hit the ground running

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I imagine he will already have started work on the pitch by then and it won't damage any grass. Actually, if we have a PO game it will now be on Thursday 9th or Friday 10th as we can't catch FGR and get a home 2nd leg after today, so he will have only lost a week. But more time is always better.

dontpassback

Very fair assessment of our club,we could a lot better,BUT we could be where Cambridge and Yeovil are,it’s a learning curve for matt Taylor and he has done better than a lot of pre season pundits thought.UTC

Spoonz Red E

Here We Go Again probably.

You set 'em up.
I'll knock 'em in. ;)

AndyR

I'm afraid that Money,Money, Money is the Name of the Game for the club, but no doubt Clive will be sending out an S.O.S about the state of the pitch afterwards :)