• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Rules Changes from 1st June.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
We have been discussing these elsewhere on Exeweb, but they probably deserve a thread of their own.

The IFAB (amusingly, stlll run by the 4 home football association rather than FIFA) who decide the laws of the Game are making more changes to the rules for next season, especially to handball (basically removing the "deliberate" bit for penalti decisions) but lots of other more minor stuff too, to things like dropped balls, goal kicks, GK standing on his line for penalties, quick free kicks, etc.

The full law changes come into effect on 1st June, though the updated version of the Laws of the Game has not yet been published.

However IFAB have published the changes. I recommend everyone reads these, as there will be LOTS of confusion.

http://theifab.com/document/for-football-bodies

http://static-3eb8.kxcdn.com/documen...t_a_Glance.pdf

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just a very brief perusal have not yet looked closely at the changes re handball there does appear to be a couple of positive changes. Players being substituted can no longer waste time by walking across the pitch from wherever they are to the dug outs but have to leave the pitch at the nearest exit point.

Free kick situations where defending team has formed a wall opposition players no longer allowed to position themselves in wall.

Just a very brief perusal have not yet looked closely at the changes re handball there does appear to be a couple of positive changes. Players being substituted can no longer waste time by walking across the pitch from wherever they are to the dug outs but have to leave the pitch at the nearest exit point.

Free kick situations where defending team has formed a wall opposition players no longer allowed to position themselves in wall.

just to clarify -

When there is a ‘wall’ of three or more defenders, the attackers are not allowed
within 1m (1 yd) of the wall; an attacker less than 1m (1yd) from the ‘wall’ when the
kick is taken will be penalised with an indirect free kick •When the defending team takes a free kick in their own penalty area, the ball is in
play once the kick is taken; it does not have to leave the penalty area before it can
be played

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Sin bins are being tried out in non league, this is what will happen if the goalie is sin binned

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I can see a lot of extra winding up of goalkeepers by opponents being a consequence of this.

tonykellowfan

The problem with sin bins is that teams that go down to 10 will just shut up shop for the 10 minutes and it will be all very boring.

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
If its the GK, i can imagine a lot of faffing around changing shirts and putting gloves on, then the reverse when the 10 minutes are up, just to make sure any attacking momentum against the offending team is well and truly lost.

Stelios

I like the idea of a sin bin if it stops the rugby tackles on the half way line. A deliberate and cynical ploy used regularly to stop counter attacks. Teams have been known or accused of spreading fouls around so they only pick up the odd booking here and there. Yellow card is not enough. "He taken one for the team there" etc

Stelios

Can't wait for my favourite part of the season. Pundits who get paid £100,000+ a year to comment on football saying "I don't know what the rule is anymore"

Well why don't you read them? Or pay someone to explain them to you?

Red Bill

Some good some bad there IMO.

Don't understand why a defending teams right to create a wall should override and attacking teams right to attempt to disrupt it. To me that seems to be swinging things in favour of an offending team. Cheating pays?

I still think at a penalty a keeper should have both feet on the line and not move until the ball is kicked, so I suppose I was never going to be in favour of rule changes benefitting keepers at penalties.

I like that the deliberate part of handball has been removed, I've always felt a free kick/penalty should be given for handball if the offending team gain an advantage they would not otherwise have had, so i think this is a step in the right direction. I think it would be good if the law makers also recognised however, that we use our arms to gain height and balance ourselves when jumping, so arms above head is not necessarily an unnatural position. I think that the acknowledgement that gaining an advantage through contact with hand or arm is what triggers a free kick, should be enough without having to talk about arms above heads.

Glad to see subs being required to leave the field at the closest point, but doing more to combat time-wasting like enforcing the existing rules on players being required to leave the pitch to receive treatment, would IMO be a more constructive point of focus. I also think it worth looking at banning substitutions in added time other than as injury replacements.

Last edited: