• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Is Exeweb's future with vBulletin?

Temporarily Exiled

This is one of a few forums that I'm on semi-regularly, and honestly, it's the most dated of the lot. A huge part of that is the forum software used. I don't think it's hyperbolic to say that the dated presentation and lack of functionality expected from a forum in 2019 (such as embedding YouTube videos / Tweets) can put new users off. It also makes the site just a tiny bit more difficult to use, but in a way that happens daily.

Whenever somebody links a YouTube video or Tweet, it's necessary to leave the site. There's no way to like posts to show support, so threads can become filled with 'I agree'. Navigating this site on a smartphone is an absolute pain. This is subjective, but I think both themes are kinda ugly. We've recently run into problems where users are unable to edit posts because the content disappears entirely. My point is, it all contributes to a bad experience.

Compare ExeWeb forums to one of the following:
Digital Spy
Imgur
Vanilla
Discourse

Why compare to those? Because all of those forums not only have more features, work on mobile and look nicer - they also run off software that is available through a free license (Vanilla or Discourse). If there aren't plans to migrate to something else soon, could you please consider migrating to one of these?

Terryhall

"I agree"...

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
"I agree"...
To be honest I like the layout and find it very user-friendly in general. However, searching for an old post, unreliable editing function or attaching photos etc for this low-tech chap is a bridge too far.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
***Good time to interject***

Truth is, we are looking into it. The version of vBulletin we are running is very dated, and despite the areas highlighted earlier, our biggest concern is to close any possible security issues that brings.

However, we have one small, rather insignificant issue foiling our dastardly plans. Namely, our techie did a runner. If anyone with vBulletin (or other forum software) knowledge would like to kindly offer their services, that would help a great deal.

If not, it'll be "as is" for the foreseeable, unless we run into a huge wodge of cash and can suddenly afford to pay to have it done.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Just out of interest, what does it cost to 'have it done'? Could always try an exeweb whip round ...

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
Just out of interest, what does it cost to 'have it done'? Could always try an exeweb whip round ...
Hants is the one to answer that tbh Rae. We had a brief conversation about it a couple of months ago, and I think we are looking at four figures... And that doesn't necessarily include the license.

Temporarily Exiled

***Good time to interject***

Truth is, we are looking into it. The version of vBulletin we are running is very dated, and despite the areas highlighted earlier, our biggest concern is to close any possible security issues that brings.

However, we have one small, rather insignificant issue foiling our dastardly plans. Namely, our techie did a runner. If anyone with vBulletin (or other forum software) knowledge would like to kindly offer their services, that would help a great deal.

If not, it'll be "as is" for the foreseeable, unless we run into a huge wodge of cash and can suddenly afford to pay to have it done.
Even idiots like us can get it done, it just means more time spent on forums to solve issues that will inevitably pop up (and more time in general). When people pay for a forum to be migrated to another platform, you're not necessarily paying for expertise, you're paying so that you don't need to spend your own time doing it.

Which version of vBulletin is ExeWeb running on?

Hants is the one to answer that tbh Rae. We had a brief conversation about it a couple of months ago, and I think we are looking at four figures... And that doesn't necessarily include the license.
Worth noting that it is far easier to migrate to some platforms than others, and that some platforms are free to use (no licensing fee).

Last edited:

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
Like I said, hants is your man for all this, possibly lez, but he's much more back seat these days.

I believe there may also have been issues with the comparability of Google ads, which gives us our funding, had some comparability issues with the latest vBulletin. (I do not know this, I t think that's what I was told)

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Out of Office: Please note that I am away from Exeweb Towers until Saturday 30th March. If it's not urgent I'll deal with on my return. If it is urgent please contact Spanky or Lez who will be more than willing to help.