• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

RIP John Smout

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Before my time, but once a Grecian, always a Grecian. Thoughts with his family and friends

https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/2019/march/johnsmout/

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Keeper in my first season. R.I.P John.

denzil

Yes probably the first City goalie I remember - R.I.P. John !

STURTZ

Keeper in my first season. R.I.P John.
Same here, in the goals between Ken jones and Peter shearing?

Keep 'em out, John Smout!

RIP.

Last edited:

PeteUSA

Thank you for not putting this on the "Obituary thread".

John was an excellent goalkeeper, tall and slim, not unlike Jonah in stature. Its worth clicking on the link to see what a high caliber the team was in his time.

RIP John.

PeteUSA

Just a little rainy day John Smout story - that might interest people who wonder how City players lived back in Johns time:

It was the evening of October 25th 1967. City were at home to Workington and I couldnt go; I had something in town I had to deal with. I was coming home to our flat in Cowick Lane - upstairs at the front of a double decker and went to get off at the Falmouth. As I walked back towards the stairs, I noticed John Smout sat at the back in his long raincoat that were the rage in the 60's. "How'd you get on John" I said. He looked up smiled and said "Won 1-0". I said "well done", as I passed thinking nothing more of it. Thats it really, but it goes to show that back in those times, regular first team players (John didnt miss a match that year) had to amble from the ground up to the Odeon area, risking life and limb to catch a bus to get home to their digs! Imagine modern day prima donna's doing that!

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just a little rainy day John Smout story - that might interest people who wonder how City players lived back in Johns time:

It was the evening of October 25th 1967. City were at home to Workington and I couldnt go; I had something in town I had to deal with. I was coming home to our flat in Cowick Lane - upstairs at the front of a double decker and went to get off at the Falmouth. As I walked back towards the stairs, I noticed John Smout sat at the back in his long raincoat that were the rage in the 60's. "How'd you get on John" I said. He looked up smiled and said "Won 1-0". I said "well done", as I passed thinking nothing more of it. Thats it really, but it goes to show that back in those times, regular first team players (John didnt miss a match that year) had to amble from the ground up to the Odeon area, risking life and limb to catch a bus to get home to their digs! Imagine modern day prima donna's doing that!
Read Gary Imlach's book about his father Stewart Imlach for a searing indictment of the way even FA cup winning internationals were treated in the 50s and early 60s. Only one step up from serfdom.

PeteUSA

Read Gary Imlach's book about his father Stewart Imlach for a searing indictment of the way even FA cup winning internationals were treated in the 50s and early 60s. Only one step up from serfdom.
I'll look for that, John. Imlach, I know the name, featured in a Cup Final as I recall off the top of my head.

Grecian2K

A wonderful anecdote there Pete! Them wuz the days weren't 'um! Thank you old sparring pal (y)(y)

PeteUSA

A wonderful anecdote there Pete! Them wuz the days weren't 'um! Thank you old sparring pal (y)(y)
You're very welcome my friend.

(Imagine our Christie going home to board and lodge on a double decker!)