• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Exeter Pubs Quiz

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Following the thread on Favourite Exeter Pubs, here is a little quiz. See how many you can identify (several but not all, were mentioned).

1. Regal Spanner ? (6) (3)

2. This one has a "secret garden". (5) (4) (5)

3. Reputably Exeter's smallest and noted historically for "lock ins" (aided by a large hatchway through the wall into the terraced house next door thus providing an escape route when the police came knocking at the front !). An Express and Error "exclusive" maybe ? . . . . . (4) (5) (3)

4. In the late 60's, following the creation of two man drug squad in Exeter, this was notably the first pub to be "raided" ! With several mentions in the "Favourites" thread, one wonders if any groups of Wolverhampton fans also ever visited ? . . . . . (4) (5)

5. It would appear that due to some very dodgy tip-off or intelligence, rather hilariously, the wrong pub got raided, no doubt resulting in some dark looks from the Chief Constable ! Having established the correct target, our hapless duo undertook almost nightly undercover surveillance, with one or other to be found at the bar usually dressed "inconspicuously" in anorak, jeans and black shiny boots ! Which pub was it ? . . . . . (5) (4) (3)

6. The Swinging Sixties had seen the birth of the Chelsea Drugstore and other avantgarde pubs in London. Some "bright spark" decided Exeter needed a hip watering hole, and opened this bar. It really was dreadful, plumbing the depths of poor design, although it was thankfully short lived in that reincarnation. Still open today under a different name, it is completely unrecognisable. . . . . . (3) (6) (4)

7. A decade or so earlier in 1957, another pub held an opening ceremony to mark a change of name and landlord. It was absolutely packed to the rafters with a significant proportion of the male population of the city, in eager expectation of witnessing none other than the "English Marilyn Munro", Diana Dors perform the deed ! . . . . . (8) (3)

8. Might barbequed ribs be found at this closed pub ? . . . . . (4) (5)

Best of luck !

Last edited:

Alistair20000

A poor response from Exeweb quiz aficionados to this thread. (n)

7. Prospect Inn.

iscalad

6) The Golden Lion

iscalad

4) Pack Horse

Oldsmobile-88

3..Malt Scoop Inn..

IndoMike

2. White Hart Hotel

Colesman Ballz

6) The Golden Lion
Not the answer on the card. Don't think I have ever been in there, so can't rule it out totally, but can't imagine it competing for ghastliness with the one I have on my list !

Colesman Ballz

4) Pack Horse
Goal ! Were you by any chance one of the surprised customers that night when the boys in blue came barreling in ? If so, I'd love to hear a first hand account ! :)

Colesman Ballz

3..Malt Scoop Inn..
Another hits the back of the net ! (clap)

Colesman Ballz

2. White Hart Hotel
The net ripples again ! Last time I ventured in, I wasn't too impressed with the sparkly modern lighting effects though, a bit naff !