• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gordon Banks Ongoing tributes - Funeral Arrangements

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I see the great man is being laid to rest on March 4th. Probably the last of the orthodox keepers that was left. He was a great keeper and what used to be known as a "mans man".

Nobody has mentioned yet the time that Banks played in a friendly for Stoke City at St James Park in the pre-season of 1968. John Farmer played in goal for the first half, and Banks played the second at the Big Bank end. It was noteable for me for two outstanding reasons: The first, the remarkable save he made from a thunderbolt shot from David Pleat out wide on the right. It looked a goal all the way as it headed for the top corner. Banks acrobatically swooped up and caught the ball with both hands! No gloves! That was a real camera save that I wish somebody had filmed!

The other incident was more of a talking point: Our Alan Banks found his way clear through on goal having got past GB somehow? He was just about to slot it home when GB dived into him from behind and pushed our Alan over the ball, then dived down on it! The most blatent penalty you'll ever see! Did the ref give it? Did he buggery! Another starstruck official who wanted to spare the England No 1's blushes!

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Yeah you already mentioned it in the obituary thread !