• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Anthony Payne...

Boyo

was one of the three old bauys murdered in Exeter this week. He was a City fan.

RIP Grecian.

Rog H K

Really sad incident so close to home. RIP to the 2 brothers also.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
RIP. Dreadful what’s happened.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Shocking and terrible crimes.

RIP

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Slightly surprised there was no mention of this on Saturday. I'm sure in the past we've had a minute's silence for others such as Kate Bushell and, regardless of whether any of the three were City supporters, given the circumstances would have thought it entirely appropriate to do so again.

As an aside, I ought to say that more often than not the club is exceptional at this kind of stuff and gets it absolutely spot on, hence my surprise the death of Anthony Payne and the Carter brothers failed to warrant a mention.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Slightly surprised there was no mention of this on Saturday. I'm sure in the past we've had a minute's silence for others such as Kate Bushell and, regardless of whether any of the three were City supporters, given the circumstances would have thought it entirely appropriate to do so again.

As an aside, I ought to say that more often than not the club is exceptional at this kind of stuff and gets it absolutely spot on, hence my surprise the death of Anthony Payne and the Carter brothers failed to warrant a mention.
I agree there should have been something, it's a terrible situation that should have been acknowledged. Maybe the Gordon Banks situation meant time was limited however I'm sure the players and officials could have put a little bit more time aside before the match.

Alistair20000

I agree there should have been something, it's a terrible situation that should have been acknowledged. Maybe the Gordon Banks situation meant time was limited however I'm sure the players and officials could have put a little bit more time aside before the match.
Agree with this. When it became clear before the match that a tribute was being lined up my first thought was that it was in connection with these dreadful local events rather than Gordon Banks.

Needs to be put right at the next home game even though it is some way off.

IndoMike

In defense of the club, perhaps they thought that it would be better for the friends and family of the three men that were brutally murdered to mourn their loss
rather than make it a public event. People who feel real sympathy will be free to attend the funeral and pay their respects. On the other hand, as a footballing hero and legend, Gordon Banks' is a special case for football fans

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I thought this WAS acknowledged on Saturday during the tribute to Gordon Banks? Certainly the commentators on the radio suggested as much (at least prior to the Tannoy announcement).

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought this WAS acknowledged on Saturday during the tribute to Gordon Banks? Certainly the commentators on the radio suggested as much (at least prior to the Tannoy announcement).
I was at the game and unless I was sleeping stood up I didn't witness any acknowledgement to the shocking events.