Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Favourite Exeter pubs - past or present

Re: Favourite Exeter pubs - past or present

Had some great nights in Exeter pubs, depends on who I'm with and how I'm feeling really, certainly had fun in the Red Cow, went drinking there once and woke up in Wolverhampton! Ropemakers was good after a good win, got thrown out of the Cowley Bridge once for dropping stink bombs! Was banned from quite a few pubs on the quay as well but those would have been gig nights when I tended to get totally fu cked. Tony Kellows pubs The Eagle and The Clifton Inn were good for a great laugh and City related banter. The Double Locks was probably the first pb I ever went into, we used to camp in the garden, remember one landlord (or was it his wife) drowned after driving his/her car into the canal!

These days my pubs are chosen for their beer mainly, quite like the Bowling Green before a match and love to drop into the Great Western for the old fashioned ambience of a comfortable pub with transient visitors and a fantastic range of real ales.

If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong !

Must have been a little something extra added to the beer in the Red Cow went in there for an afternoon couple of beers and ended up at Reading Rock !

Quote Originally Posted by ramone View Post
    Must have been a little something extra added to the beer in the Red Cow went in there for an afternoon couple of beers and ended up at Reading Rock !
    It was too close to St Davids I suppose!

Double Locks - unbeatable on a sunny Bank Holiday.
    New Vic in Queen St - spent far, far too much time in there when I was doing my A levels.
    The Old Firehouse - before it got too popular

Quote Originally Posted by ramone View Post
    Cliff Sparks & his daughter Jackie ran the pub for many years...On one memorable occasion after work myself & 3 work colleagues got through two crates of Holstein Pils(48 bottles) !!..The vans were sensibly left in the BR car park after that little session-It was a Friday thank goodness.

It was quite common to see railway drivers & guards pop in for a couple before their evening shift started...A different world back then.

Saw Cliff Sparkes rooting about under the bar one evening using his lighter for illumination,I asked him what he was doing he said he thought he could smell gas.

Never had a local in Exeter, but in my more wild and reckless years I would frequent Vines and the mint almost weekly. More recently I go to the bowling green with Exeweb Legend Scaramanga mainly in order to try and bump into Sturtz.

Friday night at Ernie's watering hole; The Royal Oak, Oke St.

Saturday night Merry Monk Tavern, latterly Barts Tavern.

Sunday lunchtime euchre at ye olde Bridge Inn, Ide. (Twisted Oak these days).