Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: A Carlisle fan's view

  1. #11

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Avondale (Near Phoenix) Arizona, USA.
    Posts
    16,905

    Re: A Carlisle fan's view

    Quote Originally Posted by IndoMike View Post
    Your MD reports were very informative, but I do agree you didn't tend to be critical of individuals or the.Manager.
    The first part of your observations very true Mike. Moxey's write-ups were excellent. I always thought he could have done the job for the club, yet somehow that didnt work out. A nice balance between Devon humor and the game itself. I dont recall him being overly critical towards our players either. If a player dropped a bollok he said so, quite simply.
    Last edited by PeteUSA; 12 February 2019 at 12:20.

  2. #12
    Antony Moxey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Exmuff
    Posts
    39,775

    Re: A Carlisle fan's view

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteUSA View Post
    The first part of your observations very true Mike. Moxey's write-ups were excellent. I always thought he could have done the job for the club, yet somehow that didnt work out. A nice balance between Devon humor and the game itself. I dont recall him being overly critical towards our players either. If a player dropped a bollok he said so, quite simply.
    I did. I did the home match reports for the official ECFC site for over ten years. You have to be careful with criticism when writing for the official site as effectively it's public criticism of your staff - match reports should be simply that with, where possible, a positive slant to try and encourage people to come to the game next time.

  3. #13
    exeweb.com admin Hants_red's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hants
    Posts
    39,784

    Re: A Carlisle fan's view

    Here's one of Ant's reports (it starts with his trademark of "So"), a defeat at home to Hereford http://web.archive.org/web/201012231...~31803,00.html
    Last edited by Hants_red; 12 February 2019 at 16:51.

  4. #14
    exeweb.com mod Jason H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Hounslow, Middlesex
    Posts
    33,085

    Re: A Carlisle fan's view

    Quote Originally Posted by Antony Moxey View Post
    I did. I did the home match reports for the official ECFC site for over ten years. You have to be careful with criticism when writing for the official site as effectively it's public criticism of your staff - match reports should be simply that with, where possible, a positive slant to try and encourage people to come to the game next time.
    Whereas a couple of my away reports took the "sod that for a game of soldiers" approach. But then anyone trying to put a positive spin on *that* Aze n Yeddin PSF* or Burton away on a Friday night in '06 would have become the heir apparent to Alastair Campbell.


    *And boy do I remember the flak I took on here for telling it like it was.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Rees-Mogg's 2nd Referendum Movement
    Posts
    14,514

    Re: A Carlisle fan's view

    Quote Originally Posted by Hants_red View Post
    Here's one of Ant's reports (it starts with his trademark of "So", a defeat at home to Hereford http://web.archive.org/web/201012231...~31803,00.html
    Seems an honest appraisal expressed in a nice style with a dash of humour and irony. I congratulate the author.

  6. #16
    Antony Moxey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Exmuff
    Posts
    39,775

    Re: A Carlisle fan's view

    Ha, cheers Mike. Don’t remember being quite so vitriolic quite that often, but the club didn’t seem to mind. I had direct access to the club web page and could post whatever I wanted without club approval, so I guess they trusted me not be too scathing!

    Only once in all the time I did the match reports did I ever get asked to change something - I forget what it was now but it was only a single sentence, and not much in it at that either - and then it was a request from the club rather than an instruction.

    In the end it became a chore though, which, along with a load of behind the scenes personnel changes, made up my mind for me to hand it over to someone else. There’s only so many seasons of incessant home defeats you can try to remain upbeat about before you just can’t keep it going though. Enjoyed doing it while it lasted though.

  7. #17

    Re: A Carlisle fan's view

    Quote Originally Posted by Antony Moxey View Post
    Ha, cheers Mike. Don’t remember being quite so vitriolic quite that often, but the club didn’t seem to mind. I had direct access to the club web page and could post whatever I wanted without club approval, so I guess they trusted me not be too scathing!

    Only once in all the time I did the match reports did I ever get asked to change something - I forget what it was now but it was only a single sentence, and not much in it at that either - and then it was a request from the club rather than an instruction.

    In the end it became a chore though, which, along with a load of behind the scenes personnel changes, made up my mind for me to hand it over to someone else. There’s only so many seasons of incessant home defeats you can try to remain upbeat about before you just can’t keep it going though. Enjoyed doing it while it lasted though.
    ..and speaking as one who looked forward to you reports I must say I always thought them excellent. Being at sea and in various parts of the world over the years, it was always a pleasure to read Ant's report and feel that you were actually there watching the game.
    When 'downunder' it was my morning routine to have my first coffee of the day, on a Sunday morning, while reading Ant's report.
    I'm sure that I wasn't the only exile who thought it made them feel more involved via these reports.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Rees-Mogg's 2nd Referendum Movement
    Posts
    14,514

    Re: A Carlisle fan's view

    Quote Originally Posted by Antony Moxey View Post
    Ha, cheers Mike. Don’t remember being quite so vitriolic quite that often, but the club didn’t seem to mind. I had direct access to the club web page and could post whatever I wanted without club approval, so I guess they trusted me not be too scathing!

    Only once in all the time I did the match reports did I ever get asked to change something - I forget what it was now but it was only a single sentence, and not much in it at that either - and then it was a request from the club rather than an instruction.

    In the end it became a chore though, which, along with a load of behind the scenes personnel changes, made up my mind for me to hand it over to someone else. There’s only so many seasons of incessant home defeats you can try to remain upbeat about before you just can’t keep it going though. Enjoyed doing it while it lasted though.
    I remember it was the time of the awful home form and depressing football. You did a very good job, though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •