• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Carlisle United v Exeter City Matchday Thread

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Leaving A. Martin is a brave decision.Im assuming Sweeney will be at centre back.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sweeney can play in the centre
Could see that with Wilson at right wing half, rather see A Martin there though. No Holmes so a start for Randall Williams, interesting.

Radio Devon haven't mentioned us yet, too concerned with the Pox Lard Derby and wheetabix!

IndoMike

Sweeney can play in the centre
He can, but he doesn't. In my opinion it's a bit risky to play Sweeney at CB when Martin is available. If Carlisle have a go at us in the first 20 minutes we could struggle.

Temporarily Exiled

Looks like Aaron Martin is getting the Jimmy Oates treatment - I can't see that he has any future at the club if we're playing Sweeney at CB and Wilson at RB over him. Wilson's good going forwards but struggles defensively, and Sweeney is makeshift at centre half at best.

Last edited:

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Where's Moxey? 3 at the back?
No surprise Deano not playing he took quite a battering last Saturday.

denzel

Have we ever had an all Irish centre back pairing before?

STURTZ

Have we ever had an all Irish centre back pairing before?
Was thinking that, Brexit line up with an Irish back stop.

Oliver

Stockley on the bench for Preston today

contrabombarde

Was thinking that, Brexit line up with an Irish back stop.
Pure genius that :D

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I feel a bit sorry for Aaron Martin, he generally did well for us, OK he lacks pace however he is a decent centre half, I don't think the spell he had playing with the unreliable Luke Croll did him any good, Croll made our back line look more vulnerable and Martin got chucked in what that situation, if he was playing with O'Shea I think we would look pretty solid.

Martin also brings some presence and height to the team, I think one of our weaknesses is a lack of height and at times we look suspect against balls into our box, last week the goal came from a corner and most of MK Dons chances came from crosses into our box.

My back four today would have been:

Sweeney Martin O'Shea Wilson

Last edited: