Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brett Huxtable you really are a class 1 Kcirp

Re: Brett Huxtable you really are a class 1 Kcirp

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair20000 View Post
    BBC stats show 12 shots and only 1 on target. Not sure how the define on target.
    Save from Lee Holmes in the second half
    Deflection onto crossbar from Pierce Sweeney in the first (presumably the keeper saved it, as we won a corner)

There were two there without thinking. I don't think they count blocks as "on target" even if they were.

Anyway, he's one of those refs who think the spectators have paid money to watch him officiating rather than the 22 blokes kicking the ball around. I don't think he got much "wrong" necessarily, just that as Hants said, he wasted more time than the players did.

I got the impression the players weren't impressed, from a sample of one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    Save from Lee Holmes in the second half
    Deflection onto crossbar from Pierce Sweeney in the first (presumably the keeper saved it, as we won a corner)

There were two there without thinking. I don't think they count blocks as "on target" even if they were.
    Anyway, he's one of those refs who think the spectators have paid money to watch him officiating rather than the 22 blokes kicking the ball around. I don't think he got much "wrong" necessarily, just that as Hants said, he wasted more time than the players did.

I got the impression the players weren't impressed, from a sample of one.
    This is what I was wondering i.e. does a block by a defender rather than the keeper mean it is not a shot on target ? Not sure why that would be the case though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair20000 View Post
    This is what I was wondering i.e. does a block by a defender rather than the keeper mean it is not a shot on target ? Not sure why that would be the case though.
    Possibly blocks by defenders get harder to quantify as "on target" the greater the distance from the goal that they occur ? One person trying to record this from a fixed position would face an impossible task. Technology may reach the stage where some "Super" Hawkeye could cope, but costs would likely be prohibitive ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    Anyway, he's one of those refs who think the spectators have paid money to watch him officiating rather than the 22 blokes kicking the ball around.
    I think that is the nail on the head - he is also a very poor ref. When he is doing his pre match warm up he is always looking to chat to spectators and did it a couple of times on Saturday I think he feels he is a local celebrity and a man of the people just because he is local in Devon.
    There was an audible groan around me when he took to the field pre-match on Saturday which I think says it all

Quote Originally Posted by HH12 View Post
    I think that is the nail on the head - he is also a very poor ref. When he is doing his pre match warm up he is always looking to chat to spectators and did it a couple of times on Saturday I think he feels he is a local celebrity and a man of the people just because he is local in Devon.
    There was an audible groan around me when he took to the field pre-match on Saturday which I think says it all
    I bet it wasn't half as audible as the 'FFS!!!! God help us now!!!' that rang out through my house loud enough to get my teenage daughter running down the stairs to find out what the problem was. Jason's suggestion was true enough when he was a cr4p North Devon League referee 10-15 years ago as it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Colesman Ballz View Post
    Possibly blocks by defenders get harder to quantify as "on target" the greater the distance from the goal that they occur ? One person trying to record this from a fixed position would face an impossible task. Technology may reach the stage where some "Super" Hawkeye could cope, but costs would likely be prohibitive ?
    Technology has reached a point where no-one except Sky Sports News gives a f*** how many shots on target a team has, or passes its made, or it’s shot/conversion ratio. This isn’t the NFL or MLB, stats in footy are utterly meaningless bar the score and who scored.