• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Very clever idea?

hienzeECFC

https://www.soccerex.com/insight/articles/2019/gremio-seek-shirt-sales-take-off-with-airport-vending-machine

Imagine a couple outside the odeon before the next big cup tie. Would it make less frequent visitors to SJP pick up a shirt when they might not have braved the crowds around the club shop on a match day? People impulse buy all sorts, could football shirts be turned into an impulse buy product?

Grecian_Matt

I think they just need a shop in town to sell the shirts..

I remember Intersport used to sell the city shirts, but clearly the retailers take too much of a cut and not worth the extra shirt sales.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
I think they just need a shop in town to sell the shirts..

I remember Intersport used to sell the city shirts, but clearly the retailers take too much of a cut and not worth the extra shirt sales.
How much do you think the leasehold, plus business rates, would be in the city centre? Have a look HERE... That's a few shirts!

I think you'd be surprised how little the margin is before you even consider a 3rd party retailing it. Unless of course you'd be happy to spend another 35-40% of the RRP or so?

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
How much do you think the leasehold, plus business rates, would be in the city centre? Have a look HERE... That's a few shirts!

I think you'd be surprised how little the margin is before you even consider a 3rd party retailing it. Unless of course you'd be happy to spend another 35-40% of the RRP or so?
Spot on Spankers, people are generally totally clueless on the costs of running a business.

A city centre shop clearly isn't viable.

Temporarily Exiled

Spot on Spankers, people are generally totally clueless on the costs of running a business.

A city centre shop clearly isn't viable.
A pop-up shop as the Chiefs have might be more affordable. Not sure there's enough demand for it outside of Christmas time, mind.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
A pop-up shop as the Chiefs have might be more affordable. Not sure there's enough demand for it outside of Christmas time, mind.
That pop up shop barely broke even.

Temporarily Exiled

That pop up shop barely broke even.
'Barely broke even' – so it made a profit? Also raises awareness of the Chiefs within the city. I wonder how regularly the football club enters the conscience of Exeter's large student population. There's something to be said for having too large a presence to ignore.

Last edited:

Langer

Isn't the Near post still trading?

Dubai Grecian

Pop up shop, but with authority, not a table and chainin princesshay. Hate to say it but the chiefs commercial team do it well, mobile unit which means no business rent or rates and leaseable by month.

Larry Wilkie

Isn't the Near post still trading?
I hope so, I was hoping to pick up a rattle from there at the weekend!! ;-)