Thread: A picture paints a thousand words

A picture paints a thousand words

So, Wayne Hennessey - caught up in an unfortunate freeze frame or a stupid Nazi-saluting idiot?

Re: A picture paints a thousand words

I'm not sure I've ever seen someone trying to shout with their hand above their mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangspeed2006 View Post
    I'm not sure I've ever seen someone trying to shout with their hand above their mouth.
    I've done it, usually the hand cupped around (but mostly above) the mouth.

If we could see the picture we might be in a better position to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Moxey View Post
    If we could see the picture we might be in a better position to decide.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/46779604

(Not sure why the link says "cricket"!)

Hennessey's defence is that he was waving to the camera and put his hand above his mouth to shout and project above the noise in the room, and that the freeze frame makes it look like he was saluting.

The case for the prosecution: his arm being outstretched the way it is suggests he isn't waving but saluting, plus the assertion re: people putting their hand above their mouth to shout. And his mouth doesn't appear to be wide open.

The case for the defence: If he was doing a proper Hitler salute his whole hand wouldn't be across his face, rather he'd have saluted with one finger to represent the tiny 'tache.

Having studied the photo for a while I'm erring towards Nazi-saluting idiot, but it's so difficult without a recording rather than a still.

Too many celebratory beers, not enough brain cells, attempt at "banter" with his German teammate. Idiotic, but no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/46779604

(Not sure why the link says "cricket"!)

Hennessey's defence is that he was waving to the camera and put his hand above his mouth to shout and project above the noise in the room, and that the freeze frame makes it look like he was saluting.

The case for the prosecution: his arm being outstretched the way it is suggests he isn't waving but saluting, plus the assertion re: people putting their hand above their mouth to shout. And his mouth doesn't appear to be wide open.

The case for the defence: If he was doing a proper Hitler salute his whole hand wouldn't be across his face, rather he'd have saluted with one finger to represent the tiny 'tache.

Having studied the photo for a while I'm erring towards Nazi-saluting idiot, but it's so difficult without a recording rather than a still.
    It was clearly the Nazi salute and Hitler moustache he was imitating. I would put this down to him being a bit thick and not being conscious of the way it could be construed or could offend. It's the kind of thing Basil Fawlty did although with Basil there wan more intent. In my opinion it was silly and childish, but probably not intentionally hurtful.

Quote Originally Posted by IndoMike View Post
    It was clearly the Nazi salute and Hitler moustache he was imitating. I would put this down to him being a bit thick and not being conscious of the way it could be construed or could offend. It's the kind of thing Basil Fawlty did although with Basil there wan more intent. In my opinion it was silly and childish, but probably not intentionally hurtful.
    That's my view too. There are times when people are too quick to take offence at stuff which is clearly in jest.

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at SJP

Too many Grey areas there IMO - slap on the wrist and move on