• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

A picture paints a thousand words

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
So, Wayne Hennessey - caught up in an unfortunate freeze frame or a stupid Nazi-saluting idiot?

mustangspeed2006

I'm not sure I've ever seen someone trying to shout with their hand above their mouth. :S

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure I've ever seen someone trying to shout with their hand above their mouth. :S
I've done it, usually the hand cupped around (but mostly above) the mouth.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
If we could see the picture we might be in a better position to decide.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
If we could see the picture we might be in a better position to decide.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/46779604

(Not sure why the link says "cricket"!)

Hennessey's defence is that he was waving to the camera and put his hand above his mouth to shout and project above the noise in the room, and that the freeze frame makes it look like he was saluting.

The case for the prosecution: his arm being outstretched the way it is suggests he isn't waving but saluting, plus the assertion re: people putting their hand above their mouth to shout. And his mouth doesn't appear to be wide open.

The case for the defence: If he was doing a proper Hitler salute his whole hand wouldn't be across his face, rather he'd have saluted with one finger to represent the tiny 'tache.

Having studied the photo for a while I'm erring towards Nazi-saluting idiot, but it's so difficult without a recording rather than a still.

mustangspeed2006

Too many celebratory beers, not enough brain cells, attempt at "banter" with his German teammate. Idiotic, but no big deal.

IndoMike

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/46779604

(Not sure why the link says "cricket"!)

Hennessey's defence is that he was waving to the camera and put his hand above his mouth to shout and project above the noise in the room, and that the freeze frame makes it look like he was saluting.

The case for the prosecution: his arm being outstretched the way it is suggests he isn't waving but saluting, plus the assertion re: people putting their hand above their mouth to shout. And his mouth doesn't appear to be wide open.

The case for the defence: If he was doing a proper Hitler salute his whole hand wouldn't be across his face, rather he'd have saluted with one finger to represent the tiny 'tache.

Having studied the photo for a while I'm erring towards Nazi-saluting idiot, but it's so difficult without a recording rather than a still.
It was clearly the Nazi salute and Hitler moustache he was imitating. I would put this down to him being a bit thick and not being conscious of the way it could be construed or could offend. It's the kind of thing Basil Fawlty did although with Basil there wan more intent. In my opinion it was silly and childish, but probably not intentionally hurtful.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
It was clearly the Nazi salute and Hitler moustache he was imitating. I would put this down to him being a bit thick and not being conscious of the way it could be construed or could offend. It's the kind of thing Basil Fawlty did although with Basil there wan more intent. In my opinion it was silly and childish, but probably not intentionally hurtful.
That's my view too. There are times when people are too quick to take offence at stuff which is clearly in jest.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Too many Grey areas there IMO - slap on the wrist and move on

iscalad