• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Time to go cashless?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46507529

Mostly I use my card to pay for stuff. Not so keen when in a pub, as it's easier to keep an eye on expenditure. Same with using, say, market holders e.g. buying a single banana. Small purchases under a pound I'd prefer to use coins. Also putting everything through your bank makes the (online) statement hard to keep up with.

At work we use a pre-loaded key for all our food purchases in the dining room. And when abroad I use a prepaid card for all my foreign transaction.

I like the possible idea of a separate card from bank account. Keep everything discrete and secure.

Have you completely embraced cashlessness?

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46507529[/ur Have you completely embraced cashlessness?[/QUOTE] I'm an OAP, so I'M getting there.

mustangspeed2006

Yes, that seems to be the way it's going and it's probably a good thing.

A couple of years ago, I was surprised to see that you can no longer use cash on London buses. Luckily, I still had a British VISA card.

In Stockholm, most places no longer accepted cash. As you said, it can be rather difficult to keep track of expenditure and I had a nasty surprise when checking my statement after a fairly heavy evening at Swedish prices!

Here in Berlin, we're still a little behind the times, as many bars and restaurants refuse to accept card payment. I'm sure this will slowly change though.

geoffwp

What is cash?

mfcrocker

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day...
Yeah I'm basically there, I only get cash out if they don't take card for some reason.

manc grecian

Barbers and the car wash are the only places I can think off that dont take card.

Grecian2K

Barbers and the car wash are the only places I can think off that dont take card.
And "Jonny" machines?

geoffwp

How many do you get through in a week then G2K? :)

crocks

Certainly think its time for 1p and 2p coins to go.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
Hants, why not use the pre-paid card when you go to the pub? That's allow you to keep a lid on it (or the next bottle, at least). (beer)