• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Trouble at The Gas

Red Bill

We often hear on hear from posters who think our ownership model is holding us back and if only we could find a rich owner to take over everything would be great. Well maybe its time to take a look at Bristol Rovers to get a picture of what the reality of that might be.

A couple of years ago Rovers found themselves a new rich foreign investor to buy the club. Their fans were over joyed, there was talk of their plans for a new stadium being rescued, promise of a new training ground and genuine belief among some of their fans the they were on an upward trajectory that could only end in the premier league. Living in the Bristol area we not only get to hear the news about the club but most of us know plenty of Gasheads, and get the real fans view. A couple of years down the line and the stadium plans have evaporated, the new training ground also doesn't look like happening, the club are sitting in the relegation places, the new owner hasn't supported the club financially in the way the fans expected and now not only their manager has left but their assistant manager Marcus Stewart, a man with Rovers running through his blood, has also gone.

In the meantime, we however have two new stands, a training ground that will be the envy of many lower league teams, are in reasonably good financial health and our biggest complaint is that our new rookie manager has allowed us to slip down to 9th in the league. Be careful what you wish for Trust bashers, our ownership model does bring limitations, but private ownership certainly isn't the holy grail!!!

ExeterCityLad

Bournemouth are doing well aren't they

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
There are good examples of ownership and there are bad examples of ownership and they should be treated on their merits and not used to illustrate the political preferences of particular posters...

ExeterCityLad

There are good examples of ownership and there are bad examples of ownership and they should be treated on their merits and not used to illustrate the political preferences of particular posters...
(rofl) (clap) .............

PeteUSA

(rofl) (clap) .............
Quite agree, Malc.

geoffwp

Ha ha ha. I take it you'd prefer a multi millionaire scenario there malc. :D

geoffwp

Ooh. I see you have the Mogg wannabe on board. Does that make a nice comfy political fit I wonder. ;)

DB9

I'd say the majority of the 72 EFL clubs are run reasonably well run (I never include the PL, As they are only interested in themselves) Our model works for us up to a point and i mean that it does have limitations but can't be held up as a utopian idea of running a club, If that was the case then they'd be more Trust run clubs in the EFL. At this point in time we have some money in the bank due to a wonderful academy that managed to find some real gems we've sold on but that revenue stream won't go on forever and there will be times when things will be a bit tighter financially and we don't have a board that can dig into their pockets to help out during such times, As i said the Trust run model works for us but don't poo poo on other clubs for not doing so

Fareham Grecian

Quite agree, Malc.
Three far right posters in a row. Bingo!

malcolms

Ha ha ha. I take it you'd prefer a multi millionaire scenario there malc. :D
Doesn't bother me either way.